Buying used equipment

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Matthew

Buying used equipment

#1 Post by Matthew » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:09 am

I'm interested in buying some basic gear (eventually...when I have money...don't hold your breath), but the prices of new gear are higher than I feel comfortable with, even at online discounters. I'm thinking of things such as mixers, CD players, amps, etc. I'm not ready for the laptop or iPod thing, just yet.

From buying other electronics, I know that it's possible to save tons of money by getting used equipment - as long as you're careful. I know the basics of DJ gear, but I don't have extensive technical knowledge of it. So, my question is: what are some basic things that somebody should look for or beware of when buying used equipment? Thanks for any help.

paul13

#2 Post by paul13 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:32 am

hey mathew,
* try ebay. it's usually a good place to check. make sure you check the shipping though.
* also, get decent brand name electronics. don't buy something because it's cheap.
* denon is probably one of the best.
* numark are good too.
* gemini is decent, but a little lower on the scale in my opinion.
* get a dual cd player and make sure it has skip protection !!!!!
* if you're getting a turntable(s), the best would be a technics direct drive 1200 but numark make a really good direct drive turntable for about half the price (around $250 i think)
* whatever mixer you get, make sure it has a few separate channels and you don't have to flip a toggle switch to change from one component to another.
* buy a coffin too so it's well protected and it's easier to carry.

hope this helps a little.
paul mallett

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:44 pm

Thanks, man. You rock!

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:39 pm

Buying used equipment off Ebay is very risky. I have done o.k. on some things, as have others, but I have also been screwed (most notably on a $250 turntable that still does not work). The feedback system is worthless for providing assurance for high-ticket items.

Also, being able to hear the equipment is crucial. It is worth spending more money.

I've also generally found that used equipment is often not as discounted as one might expect; or, perhaps more accurately, that there is not a standard depreciation markdown for sound equipment as there is, say, for used cars. Because the market is not standardized at all, there is a great deal of variance out there. You could find good equipment in great condition for 1/3 the price of new equipment, or you could run only into stuff that is trashed and only 20% less than brand new: might as well buy it new if the latter.

Moreover, expect to spend five to ten times as much time and effort finding used, good-quality, not-junked equipment.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

paul13

#5 Post by paul13 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:05 pm

i've had good luck with ebay, but i'd never buy anything used off there as far as equipment goes. buy it new if you choose ebay. make sure you read the bottom and it's not refurbished. a lot of people on ebay sell refurbs.

KevinSchaper

#6 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:32 pm

I got screwed on a technics 1200 thru ebay.. my advice from that experience is to check out people's feedback and see if they've gotten positive feedback on similar stuff.. the girl I bought it from had sold a few records and nothing else.. it showed up sitting in a box it would only fit in diagonally, with no padding at all.. the platter was warped, the tone-arm pulled, it was literally totalled... I sent it back, and she just kept it and the money.

My other experiences have been pretty good though.. even the $500 I spent on my power amp.

Kristin just bought a denon 1800f on ebay, a great cd player that they recently replaced with a more expensive model.. when it shows up maybe she'll let us know how it turned out..

kbuxton

#7 Post by kbuxton » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:07 pm

KevinSchaper wrote:Kristin just bought a denon 1800f on ebay, a great cd player that they recently replaced with a more expensive model.. when it shows up maybe she'll let us know how it turned out..
If it shows up ;) (Yes, I'm getting antsy)

coldnight

#8 Post by coldnight » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:06 pm

kbuxton wrote:
If it shows up ;) (Yes, I'm getting antsy)
Did your item ever show up?

John

kbuxton

#9 Post by kbuxton » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:07 pm

coldnight wrote:Did your item ever show up?
Yes. Late and dented, but working just fine.

kitkat

#10 Post by kitkat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:13 pm