"Best" bitrate to use? (128-320kbps)

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

What is the best MP3 bitrate to use (for DJing)? (128-320kbps)

128kbps/CBR/Joint Stereo (LAME)
6%
160kbps/CBR/Stereo (LAME)
No votes
192kbps/CBR/Stereo (LAME)
17%
256kbps/CBR/Stereo (LAME)
33%
320kbps/CBR/Stereo (LAME)
11%
VBR HIGH (LAME)
33%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 18

Titus

#31 Post by Titus » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:30 am

Yakov wrote:MP3 is smart enough that encoding in Mono doesn't save you any space from encoding in Joint Stereo (I've never encoded in vanilla "Stereo"). it's just a bit faster.
If you are using APS or APX, it would be safe to change the lower bitrate from 128 to 80 for space savings, using:

--alt-preset standard -b80

Yakov

#32 Post by Yakov » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:53 pm

oohahh wrote:FYI, there is one issue with VBR and Macs:

From http://www.megaseg.com/faq.html#19:
If a VBR MP3 file enters the Playlist's NEXT position (after a segue for example), it may cause the audio to drop out for a second on Macs with slower hard drives... The problem is that QuickTime must perform extra processing of VBR MP3 files when opened, and during this process it may cause the audio to stop until finished. One solution is not use VBR type MP3 files. Another solution is to use QuickTime Player (Pro version) to save VBR MP3s into a self-contained Movie file. Or use iTunes' Advance Menu to convert the files into standard MP3s.
haha macs suck

(and me planning to get one next year!)

Bob the Builder

#33 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:10 pm

For those of you using AAC you will find this interesting, link

Brian :D

Jase

#34 Post by Jase » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:24 am

I know it's been a while since this topic was brought up, and it's been referred to in a previous response, but if I understand correctly, I think the coders of LAME make sure that the -alt-present standard option is the "best" setting to use. The r3mix setting was the "best" one around a few years ago, but I think the general consensus on the mp3 encoding boards is that the preset standard is good enough for now.

For further reading:
* http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=28124
* http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1912

BigCash

#35 Post by BigCash » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:06 am

When ripping songs off an audio CD into MP3 format, what happens when you convert them back onto an audion CD. Do you loose quality from the original?
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

CafeSavoy

#36 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:21 am

BigCash wrote:When ripping songs off an audio CD into MP3 format, what happens when you convert them back onto an audion CD. Do you loose quality from the original?
yes, there will be some loss from the original. i think the loss in quality will be more noticeable if you repeat the process several times. but if the mp3s were encoded at the highest quality, the quality of the cd will be decent. people argue over how noticeable is the difference between wave and compressed formats, but if want to ensure absolute fidelity you might consider using on of the lossless formats. i know apple is now offering that option in itunes and there are other lossless formats. for example, the smithsonian is using a lossless format for their global soundways downloadable songs.