mpeg-4 aac

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

mpeg-4 aac

#1 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:03 am

Has anyone ripped using the new AAC format? Any feedback on the quality versus ripping to mp3?

sonofvu

#2 Post by sonofvu » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:51 pm

I've ripped some older recordings and some newer stuff. The older recordings are helped because mp3 compression takes a toll on them. As far as the newer stuff, I have ripped in AAC format on the highest setting and I'm getting near CD quality. I can't tell the difference. I'm sure some audiophile out there would be able to tell the difference.

CafeSavoy

#3 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:00 pm

sonofvu wrote:I've ripped some older recordings and some newer stuff. The older recordings are helped because mp3 compression takes a toll on them. As far as the newer stuff, I have ripped in AAC format on the highest setting and I'm getting near CD quality. I can't tell the difference. I'm sure some audiophile out there would be able to tell the difference.
you rip at 320?

sonofvu

#4 Post by sonofvu » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:23 pm

I do now. In the past I would rip at 192. That kept the file sizes small enough to fit on my computer. Problem was that any problems with the compression will come to light once the volume is turned up. As in a djing situation. I then experimented with VBR. Got better results quality wise and the file size remained relatively small. But then I got a new 30 gig ipod and my old computer died which gave me an additional 80 gigs. So now I'm in the process of ripping everything at the 320 aac level.