Vinyl setups--playing, storing, etc.

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

BryanC

Vinyl setups--playing, storing, etc.

#1 Post by BryanC » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:38 am

I'm about to get into vinyl albums. There's a plethora of the stuff here; it's cheap, and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that isn't available on CD. My problem is that I know next to nothing about LPs. So I'm looking to you gurus for advice on:

1) What should I look for when buying a turntable?
2) What else will I need additional to the turntable? (Suggestions welcome)
3) How does one care for and store LPs?
4) What should one look for when buying LPs?
5) What are your setups for playing and storing LPs?
6) Anything else you think would be useful.

KevinSchaper

Re: Vinyl setups--playing, storing, etc.

#2 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:30 pm

1) What should I look for when buying a turntable?
Depends on what you're planning to do with it - I got by pretty good with a Dual from the 70's or 80's for a long time - but when I decided that I wanted to use records while DJing instead of just putting the stuff on CD, I had to pick up one that was made for it.. I went nuts and got a ttx1, but sticking in the realm of stuff that *can* play 78s (just incase), there's cheaper made but still good stuff by Stanton.. Tech 1200s are the standard, but I like the ttx1 better..
2) What else will I need additional to the turntable? (Suggestions welcome)
If it doesn't have one, you need a stylus and a cartridge.. I'm kinda clueless about this - I picked up the scracthy kind (m44-7), cuz I figured I wanted stability, and it's fun to goof off and make noises - but I dunno how good they really sound in comparison to audiophile ones.
3) How does one care for and store LPs?
plastic crates work great, or just on shelves or whatever, as long as they're not stacked flat on top of each other or outside they'll be fine.
4) What should one look for when buying LPs?
stuff you wanna listen to. :)

it's funny, Thom and Virginia, pdx's local swing dancing new wave DJs (I think they did something on yehoodi radio too) actually make money digging for records and selling them on ebay - and can't comprehend how he knows what's gonna be worth anything.. though, I think that's cuz in general jazz records aren't worth a lot compared to 80's stuff..
5) What are your setups for playing and storing LPs?
a single ttx1 in a road case, and if I wanna carry a lot I use a plastic crage with a garbage bag cover (tres chic!) or not so many I use a cooler like this one: http://www.epromos.com/OrderPipeline/Pr ... Id=8812345
6) Anything else you think would be useful.
http://www.idjnow.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=handytrax

I think I'd feel way too dorky carrying one of these into a record shop, but it would make up for it's cost really quickly..

funkyfreak

#3 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:09 pm

Hahahahaha, that has one of the most pointless flash vids I've seen in a while.

But anyway, that's pretty rad, I'd be interested in knowing what speakers are in it, and how much of an angle it can be at and still play.

-FF

KevinSchaper

#4 Post by KevinSchaper » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:57 pm

funkyfreak wrote:
Hahahahaha, that has one of the most pointless flash vids I've seen in a while.

But anyway, that's pretty rad, I'd be interested in knowing what speakers are in it, and how much of an angle it can be at and still play.

-FF
I'm sure the speakers are terrible and it can only play flat - but in 3 or 4 months I'd probably save enough in avoiding stinky records to pay for the $150..