Converting cassette tape to CD or reel tape to CD

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Converting cassette tape to CD or reel tape to CD

#1 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:31 pm

Is there a home unit that does that?

A girl I went to HS with has a audiotape copy of the school musical of that season.

I am trying to find out it she has it on cassette or on reel tape.

Good luck finding a way to interface a reel recorder with a digital CD unit?
Can it be done?

Thx!
Will big bands ever come back?

GemZombie

#2 Post by GemZombie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Sure, I'm sure most recordable cd players have analog inputs you can record directly from. just because you're recording to CD doesn't mean the source has to be digital.

Eyeball

#3 Post by Eyeball » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:06 pm

GemZombie wrote:Sure, I'm sure most recordable cd players have analog inputs you can record directly from. just because you're recording to CD doesn't mean the source has to be digital.
Thanks, man! I used to be soooo on top of this stuff, but about ten years ago, I just stopped. I kept thinking that I would love to own a recordable unit - too bad they were 700 dollars. Prices dropped, but I had zoned out.

I have some great stuff on reel that I would like to have accessable including a multi-hour tribute to Tommy Dorsey that was broadcast a few weeks after he died in '56.

Do you want to recommend a unit that you like? I need to get one.

Here's some of my stuff. Only the dust is from the 21st century.

GemZombie

#4 Post by GemZombie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:16 pm

No recommendations as I haven't looked into it in a while. I'd just record it using my computer, and then burn a CD because it is also simple to do, but if you're not into computer tech, I'd just start looking for some recordable cd players... just make sure they have analog inputs for recording and you're set.

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:03 pm

Since it appears you have a receiver and devices to play the media you want to convert, then the easiest solution is to send a line out to your computer and use software to capture the input. I have used Audacity to convert tapes and vinyl and it was pretty easy and free. There are other software that could be used and I'm sure some here can give you good advice.

Eyeball

#6 Post by Eyeball » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 pm

That is fine idea, but my pc is at the opposite end of the room, in another room, actually.

I am about to sell that big entertainment center and I want to get a console type piece of furniture where I can have all my stuff at arm's length as in a studio.
Will big bands ever come back?