Playing "Original" lo-fi music on modern sound sys

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Do you change the equalization when playing lo-fi in order to accomodate for the difference?

Yes, I boost treble and bass
18%
Yes, I boost the midrange
9%
Yes, I boost the treble or bass but not both
No votes
Yes, but what I do totally depends on the recording
55%
No, It doesn't make a difference
No votes
I don't know what you're talking about/never thought about it before?
18%

Total votes: 11

funkyfreak

#16 Post by funkyfreak » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:15 pm

sonofvu wrote:But if I boost the base I get noise and even distortion from the speakers.
Supposing you're not exaggerating, if you can't have the bass on a level any higher then "audible" before distortion comes in, man...that's some quality crap setup right there.

This one local place the owner constantly is showing off the "hundreds of thousands dollar" worth of sound equipment. Which would be great if it didn't suck at actually playing the music and distributing it without dead spots and bad reverb... I'm with Kevin, when I find a super sweet audio setup at a gig, I get like a kid with a new toy and gotta show everyone
:twisted:

I don't find any one EQ rule of thumb works for "lo-fi" recordings, every song if I'm not happy I reEQ it completely differently until satisfied, no matter which system I'm on or what type of recording it is. But I'm a picky bastard, so whatever.

-FF

lindyholic

#17 Post by lindyholic » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:48 pm

Kevin...yes, it sounded amazing, you could hear everything and anything....The Commodor rules, simple.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Lawrence

#18 Post by Lawrence » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:14 pm

sonofvu wrote:I found that if I don't boost the base dancers can't follow the beat of the song. But if I boost the base I get noise and even distortion from the speakers. I try to boost the base just enough for people to get the beat and then no more. It is a dicey proposition since I'm in the DJ booth and not on the floor dancing and what I hear is not really what teh dancers are hearing.
Thus the quandry of playing vintage music and why I asked the original question.... 8)

The DJ booth almost always sounds more bass-heavy than the floor does because bass is omni-directional, mid and high range are more uni-directional, and the speakers are pointed toward the audience. (That's part of why I always move the second set of speakers behind me on the stage at the Fed: so I can hear the music more accurately. I also always go down into the crowd during a song to make sure the equalization is good and the bass is coming through.)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

funkyfreak

#19 Post by funkyfreak » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:37 pm

Lawrence wrote:I also always go down into the crowd during a song to make sure the equalization is good and the bass is coming through.)
It's a pet peeve of mine when a fellow DJ says, "I can't hear the music to balance it, I hope it's alright...", as if they can't walk the five steps (or what have you) to stand on the floor edge...

-FF