Recomendations for a new amp

It's all about the equipment

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

sonofvu

Recomendations for a new amp

#1 Post by sonofvu » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

I've been tasked with acquiring a new amp for our scene here in Austin. Basically I need to replace a Mackie PPM series 808S professional powered mixer. The problem that I find is that professional stuff is over the top for just a swing dance but the next step down is basically a home stereo. There is no way I'm going to buy a home stereo amp and put it out there. I'm thinking that I need something professional that can handle cd inputs and produce enough power to fill our large space.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

JesseMiner

#2 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:29 pm

Moderator Note: Moving to appropriate forum

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator

wheresmygravy

#3 Post by wheresmygravy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:22 pm

I am basically tasked with the same thing here in Dallas, (actually I am replacing the whole rig). I am going with the seperate Mixer / Amp setup. I have been looking at the QSC Amps (1450) and the American Audio Mixer. One thing I wanted on the mixer was a dedicated input for PC DJs, so you know exactly where to plug in.

I like them seperate so you don't have to get down on the floor to adjust the levels for seperate input. As I noticed was being done at the S&V workshop.

Cost for the two seperate items about $600.

I do know that Behringer makes combo units, but I am not sure how good their amps are.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com seems to have a pretty good selection and they had product user guides online which was nice so you could see how everything worked inside a unit.

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:34 pm

George, Matt Jones and I were talking about this on Friday, not sure if he has spoken to you directly. His feedback on our current amp is that it would be nice to have an amp that is less complex.

So, I add that aspect to the discussion. Amps that can handle the required inputs, be suitable for our space, but are simple enough that 10-12 DJs of varying technical proficiency can adjust the levels without screwing things up (which is what sometimes happens when DJs tinker with our Mackie amp).

Several of the DJs on this Board have worked the Fed before, so if you have an opinion, please share

Nathan

PS - Lawrence, in case you are wondering, the amp did not break. The current Board saw that it was time to invest in equipment. The old Mackie amp will become the secondary amp, used for band nights, Exchange, back-up service, etc...

A sub-woofer is also in the cards. Maybe good better headphones as well.

Mr Awesomer

#5 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:40 pm

I don't think we need the minutes from your swing club meetings.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#6 Post by julius » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:44 pm

LA is feeling its wheaties today!

sonofvu

#7 Post by sonofvu » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm looking at either the M800 or the M1400. We have a mixer already that is in good shape so I want to simplify the amp to to a Tarzanish "take input and make loud".
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.