Lindy Gras

What's happening?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#31 Post by mousethief » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:40 pm

There's a Bally's across the water too, I think.

Jen and I are going to spend most of our time eating & shopping.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

djstarr

#32 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:45 pm

Lindy Gras was a blast as expected. Thanks to all of you DJ's who gave me such nice dances....

Highlights were hanging out at the Spotted Cat, dancing to all the great live music [loved the Parish as a venue], and playing poker with Camryn Manheim (of The Practice fame).

Kudos to Keith on a great set played on Sunday night - I have to get me some Dr. Michael White.

Nando

#33 Post by Nando » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:34 pm

djstarr wrote:I have to get me some Dr. Michael White.
I found a CD at the New Orleans airport for 16 bucks. In fact, I almost missed my flight because I had to wait to buy the CD

djstarr

#34 Post by djstarr » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:47 am

Nando wrote:
djstarr wrote:I have to get me some Dr. Michael White.
I found a CD at the New Orleans airport for 16 bucks. In fact, I almost missed my flight because I had to wait to buy the CD
that's dedication... and pretty funny also. I really liked the version of Summertime that Keith played by him, I'm going to have to find that album. There is also a track by him on the CD that was given out - I really like it but it's a tad long for an uptempo song.

Nando

#35 Post by Nando » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:36 am

djstarr wrote:
that's dedication... and pretty funny also.
That's not the whole story. I was walking to my gate when I passed the "House of Blues" shop in Terminal C. They had the new Putumayo albums from Kermit Ruffins and a New Orleans sampler. When I bought both of them, I asked the cashier if she had any Dr. Michael White. She said Back Alley Jazz would have it and I could find it all the way in terminal A, which was about a 5 minute walk to the other side of the airport.

At that point I had 40 minutes to my flight. Was able to run over, find the CD (The store clerk there had no idea who I wanted. She was clueless, but I trusted the HoB person and found it myself), waited on line and got to my gate with less than 10 minutes to takeoff.

On another note, I've had WWOZ on nonstop since I've been back in NYC.

mousethief

#36 Post by mousethief » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:22 am

Best event EVER.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

djstarr

#37 Post by djstarr » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:16 pm

Nando wrote:On another note, I've had WWOZ on nonstop since I've been back in NYC.
I've had my new Sidney Bechet and "Mezz" Mezzrow CDs on nonstop since I've been back.

And my favorite part of the NO airport is that you can get a to go cup to take with you to the gate area; gotta love it.

julius

#38 Post by julius » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:58 pm

At Amoeba yesterday I saw 5 used Dr. Michael White CDs for sale, so I bought one. Five bucks.

Haven't listened to it yet, but I just thought I'd gloat.

Nate Dogg

#39 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:35 pm

Yeah, I remember that the New Orleans/Louisiana section at Amoeba L.A had some great values, they had ever Neville Brothers CD for $5 or so, you would be hard pressed to find that price in New Orleans.

djstarr

#40 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:43 pm

Found this article about the Spotted Cat while looking up info on the New Orleans Jazz Vipers; may be a bit dated because it doesn't mention my favorite bartender JW, but talks about why this is a must stop when you are in New Orleans:

http://www.g21.net/gb5.html

BigCash

#41 Post by BigCash » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:13 pm

Thanks for the props everyone.

I know Matt, Megan and I (as well as everyone else) really enjoyed having everyone here.

Nando... I've had WWOZ on for 5 years straight now. I couldn't name one top 10 pop song right now. lol

Dr. Michael White is amazing... He's on the very short list for next year. :)
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

djstarr

LindyGras 2007

#42 Post by djstarr » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:35 pm

Big shout out to Keith and all the people who put on another fabulous LindyGras. This year marks the best exchange ever I have been to - I had one fabulous experience after another.

Saw Kermit Ruffins on Thursday at this very local funky bar called Vaughans, loved the Jazz Vipers at the Spotted Cat, really loved George French on both Fri/Sat late night.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Chaz and his Washboard Blues Trio CD - they were playing at the Spotted Cat right before the parade, and it was SO good.

And hearing Dr. Michael White play - it was awesome to see all the dancers give him a standing ovation after "St. James Infirmary".

And I love all the organic-ness of the music - to me it was really cool that everybody came over and danced to the blues band across the street when the Sunday night dance was over; the "Smoking Blueskings".

And one of our early Seattle swing legends - Monty Banks, is now in New Orleans, he plays at Club 300 (where late nights were held), and at Tommy's Wine Bar on Friday/Sat. New Orleans folks should go check him out - he's gotten really good since leaving Seattle back in the neo-Swing days. My friends and I had a really fun time dancing to him.

Anyhow, thanks again for a great event - it really inspired me to start working on my music collection again and it's an event every DJ should attend.