www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 am 

Does anyone know the version of Things Ain't What they Used to Be for this video? I've tried Shazam and SoundHound but both can't identify it. Someone in the YouTube comments mentioned Johnny Hodges with either Ellington or Buck Clayton but I can't find either.

https://youtu.be/DhxlU9iE7e0?t=1m33s

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm 

I'd be surprised if Naomi Uyama couldn't help you (seems to be a huge Johnny Hodges fan), or Ryan Swift (seems to have lots of obscure recordings with that kind of driving groove). Please let us know here if you ever find out!

(Also, sounds recorded in the 1950's or so, possibly in a concert setting?)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:37 pm 

I poked around in standard discographies, and I cannot find a session with Hodges leading and Buck Clayton playing, nor one with Clayton leading and Hodges playing.

Moreover, I don't think that sounds like Hodges. Not that I can offer much of an alternative. The drumming sounds a little modern, and the chart sounds like maybe it is played in a different key (higher) than Ellington used to play it. Not terribly useful information, I'm afraid.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]