Shag Music

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Toon Town Dave

Shag Music

#1 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:26 am

In another thread, the topic of (Carolina) Shag music came up. Since Shag is very new to our scene and I have pretty limited exposure, I'm curious what y'all consider good Shag music?

wheresmygravy

#2 Post by wheresmygravy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:42 am

sonofvu wrote:Don't mean to highjack here but exactly what is shag music?

Here's a link to some 'shag/beach' music CD....http://www.ripete.com/clips.html

12bars

#3 Post by 12bars » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:27 am

the good stuff, in my opinion, is old rythym and blues, jump blues, early rock and roll, motown, ect. for more info:
http://oldies.about.com/gi/dynamic/offs ... music.html
http://www.judyshouseofoldies.com/
http://www.beachshag.com/ImagesSoundsRe ... hShag.html

sonofvu

#4 Post by sonofvu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:22 am

wheresmygravy wrote:
sonofvu wrote:Don't mean to highjack here but exactly what is shag music?

Here's a link to some 'shag/beach' music CD....http://www.ripete.com/clips.html
Don't mean to hijack here but I hate RealOne.

Anyways, I understand now. Someone asked me to play shag music las week and I said that I did not have any not knowing exactly what shag music was. But now that I have a tiny idea of what it is I can confidently say that I do not have any of this music. By the way, is it fair to say that doo-wop can be considered shag music?
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

12bars

#5 Post by 12bars » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:55 am

yes

duetsinger

Shag Music

#6 Post by duetsinger » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:35 am

I am new to this forum, and I realize this is a reply to a VERY old post, but......if you are interested in, or get requests for Shag music you may want to consider some of the compilations from Beach Bag Productions, Pompano Beach, FL. Marc Fisher, the owner of the label, is a Swing DJ/Producer and has done several Swing compilations which have "crossed over" to the Shag market. One of his song productions (which was my recording of "Fever") has just been leased by Universal for a new Swing compilation that they are doing.

Also, John Hook, who is a Shag music radio "guru" has a free streaming radio station called "The Endless Summer Network" (www.beachshag.com) you may want to check out.

busibeth

#7 Post by busibeth » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:42 pm

No.. most doowop is NOT shag music. For more info go to www.carolinashagdance.com or to www.shagdance.com . Another good source is www.beachshag.com but I think someone has already listed it. Also www.goshagging.com is good

Shag music is all types of music.. originally it was the old R&B from the 40's and 50's but as the years have evolved and other generations have gotten into the music, it has covered much of the Motown music (Temptations, Four Tops, etc) Also, there are many regional "beach" bands in the southeast that play shag music. The shag is a dance that originated on the coasts of the Carolinas in the 40's and has been referred to as The Jitterbug on Prozac! Books have been written on it and a movie was made back in about '88 called "Shag the Movie" starring Bridget Fonda, Tyrone Powers Jr, Phoebe Cates, Annabeth Gish, Page Hannah, Scott Coffey... It is set in 1963 in Myrtle Beach SC (which is also where it was filmed)

Hope this helps!

12bars wrote:yes

Charleston Charlie

#8 Post by Charleston Charlie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm

I think we need to differentiate between Collegiate Shag and Beach Shag.

Radically different dances with the same (last) name.

Collegiate shag music dates from the late 30s to the early 40s; swing, generally.
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

busibeth

#9 Post by busibeth » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:23 pm

Charleston Charlie wrote:I think we need to differentiate between Collegiate Shag and Beach Shag.

Collegiate shag music dates from the late 30s to the early 40s; swing, generally.
Yes, this is true. But the original question asked about Carolina Shag.. which is "Beach Shag" not Collegiate Shag

Nate Dogg

#10 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:23 am

Charleston Charlie wrote:I think we need to differentiate between Collegiate Shag and Beach Shag.

Perhaps a moderator could rename the thread, add "Carolina", then you could start a collegiate shag thread.

CafeSavoy

#11 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:16 am

Nate Dogg wrote:

Perhaps a moderator could rename the thread, add "Carolina", then you could start a collegiate shag thread.
This thread is under "Other Music" and if you read the first post it is clear that ToonTownDave was asking about Carolina Shag music. The issue of which Shag would only arise if someone didn't read the posts in the thread. If someone wants to start a collegiate shag music thread I would suggest putting it under the "Swinging Music" section.

Charleston Charlie

#12 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:18 pm

My bad, sorry.
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw