The "DJ Challenge"

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

#16 Post by gatorgal » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:47 am

I guess depending on the level of the dancers in any scene, dancing to some of the songs would be a challenge. It all depends on the environment.

Besides, what else would you call it?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Ron

#17 Post by Ron » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:53 am

I play a non-traditional song once every other time I DJ or so, but I rarely announce them as DJ challenges. Also, the non-traditional songs I play aren't often really that far-out.

djstarr

#18 Post by djstarr » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:02 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: Lovett, Lyle-She Makes Me Feel Good
Lovett, Lyle-You've Been So Good Up To Now
I really like Lyle Lovett - this thread is inspiring me to go through my non-swing CDs to see what I have that would be fun on occasion.

Roy

#19 Post by Roy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:43 pm

gatorgal wrote:I guess depending on the level of the dancers in any scene, dancing to some of the songs would be a challenge. It all depends on the environment.

Tina 8)
I call them songs that piss me off when played to Lindy hoppers.

I don't mind them here and there, but too many DJ's play them back to back or too many in one night, that's when I leave.

nocturne

#20 Post by nocturne » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:18 am

Lindy Bomb wrote: Techno-ish remix of Dinah Washington's Is you is, or is you ain't my baby
dear god dude, pleeeeaaaase dont call that techno. techno is such a bad word.
that remix is by Rae & Christian.

i've heard of DJs playing some Gotan Project songs, they are kinda electro-tango. very cool stuff indeed, but i would probably cry if i ever heard it played at a dance.
Vote Funkstörung. Grammy Winners.

LazyP

#21 Post by LazyP » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:59 am

gatorgal wrote:Thanks for the list, Nate. Some of my favorites are in there as well.

Every once in a while Sergio likes to play David Bowie's "Lets Dance". I love him for it and we're usually the only ones on the floor dancing.

There's a DJ in Tampa who will play The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" for me if I ask for it. That's a fun one too.

Tina 8)
If you like the Cure try their song "Love Cats". Great fun to dance to (though as with all novelty songs, not too often)

/Patrik
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

gatorgal

#22 Post by gatorgal » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:23 am

LazyP wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Thanks for the list, Nate. Some of my favorites are in there as well.

Every once in a while Sergio likes to play David Bowie's "Lets Dance". I love him for it and we're usually the only ones on the floor dancing.

There's a DJ in Tampa who will play The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" for me if I ask for it. That's a fun one too.

Tina 8)
If you like the Cure try their song "Love Cats". Great fun to dance to (though as with all novelty songs, not too often)

/Patrik
Will do... thanks!

Tina 8)

gatorgal

#23 Post by gatorgal » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:27 am

Roy wrote:
gatorgal wrote:I guess depending on the level of the dancers in any scene, dancing to some of the songs would be a challenge. It all depends on the environment.

Tina 8)
I call them songs that piss me off when played to Lindy hoppers.

I don't mind them here and there, but too many DJ's play them back to back or too many in one night, that's when I leave.
You know, you get pissed off a lot. You should start hitting the decaf coffee or the tai chi. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think anyone is advocating playing these songs all the time... just occassionally when we want to do something different.

In the case of South Florida, I don't think the DJs here (myself included) play these songs often enough, that the dancers get annoyed.

Tina 8)

djstarr

#24 Post by djstarr » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:54 pm

gatorgal wrote:Seriously though, I don't think anyone is advocating playing these songs all the time... just occassionally when we want to do something different.
I think it's nice to lighten the mood and give everybody a break from "serious dancing"; throwing in a different type of song here or there is fun.

Lindy Bomb

#25 Post by Lindy Bomb » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:25 pm

nocturne wrote:
Lindy Bomb wrote: Techno-ish remix of Dinah Washington's Is you is, or is you ain't my baby
dear god dude, pleeeeaaaase dont call that techno. techno is such a bad word.
that remix is by Rae & Christian.

i've heard of DJs playing some Gotan Project songs, they are kinda electro-tango. very cool stuff indeed, but i would probably cry if i ever heard it played at a dance.
Note: I did not say Techno. I said "Techno-ish remix". And if I knew who did the remix, which I didn't because I don't own the song, I would have said so. Since I didn't, I described it in the best possible way that I could...obviously, it was successful since you knew what I was talking about.

nocturne

#26 Post by nocturne » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:20 pm

Lindy Bomb wrote: Note: I did not say Techno. I said "Techno-ish remix". And if I knew who did the remix, which I didn't because I don't own the song, I would have said so. Since I didn't, I described it in the best possible way that I could...obviously, it was successful since you knew what I was talking about.
ah yes kemo sabe.
i just dislike the word techno, even if followed by an "-ish". it makes me feel so lame!
and i was just piping in the artists in case anyone else wanted to know.
mmmhm.

gatorgal

#27 Post by gatorgal » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:13 am

Techno-ish or not, I also love that remix. Except when I first heard it, I thought "cha cha"... so that's what I play when someone requests a cha-cha. Everyone seems to love it since you can swing to it and, I'm told, Hustle to it.

Tina 8)

p.s. Has anyone heard "Verve Remixed 2"? Is it as good as the first one?

Doug

#28 Post by Doug » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:13 pm

gatorgal wrote:...

About every other time I DJ locally I pose Doug's Dance Dilemma. Recently these have included US3asf's Cantaloop (bal works great!) and Brubeck's Take Five - (Think east coast swing but go rock-step triple-step step, & repeat. Any ECS moves done with this timing work just great ). I find that as long as these are way occasional things, and posed as dance delimma's, I get pretty decent response from the dancers. About half dance and half look to see what everyone is doing. Generally those who figure out what to do get applause from the watchers.

nocturne

#29 Post by nocturne » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:30 pm

gatorgal wrote:p.s. Has anyone heard "Verve Remixed 2"? Is it as good as the first one?
the second cd is great if you ask me, but i dont know if it would be that great for a "dj challenge"
its got some great remixes of some great songs.
funky lowlives, gotan project, herbert, fila brazillia, and koop. pretty awesome line up.
its worth buying totally.

Drew

#30 Post by Drew » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:05 pm

Every so often I'll throw some Prince in towards the end of the night to get people moving towards the door--but since Prince is a local celebrity here, some people stay longer than usual--and to close up, I usually spin a White Stripes tune or two.