Brian Setzer & Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

LazyP

Brian Setzer & Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

#1 Post by LazyP » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:30 am

*Cough* You might have heard of these bands. They are not dead, so neoswing still seems to exist.
And both have recently released new albums. So I thought I'd give you a short review of these (by the way, I did NOT pay for these cds, but the BBVD I might have done if I didn't get it for free)

Brian Setzer - Nitro Burnin' Funny Daddy

Brian is going back to old school, that is Brian's old school. It's more in the style of Stray Cats but not quite. A lot of Rock'n'roll and rockabilly stuff. A few rockier ballads and similar stuff. If you like this kind of music it's actually quite good. A definite party album, but in no way swing music or for swing dancing (according to me)

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul

BBVD releases their best album so far. This time they take influences from New Orleans jazz and mixes it up with their classic neoswing. And they make it work good! So we got an album of New Orleans style jazz, classic BBVD neoswing, and songs mixing these styles.
And I actually like this a lot. Not many songs I would play for a swing dance (if you want to play neo you got some worth playing) but also this is a party album with some great music

/Patrik, who gets neo stuff for free when importing it to Europe.
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

djstarr

Re: Brian Setzer & Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

#2 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:14 pm

LazyP wrote:Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul

BBVD releases their best album so far. This time they take influences from New Orleans jazz and mixes it up with their classic neoswing. And they make it work good! So we got an album of New Orleans style jazz, classic BBVD neoswing, and songs mixing these styles.
And I actually like this a lot. Not many songs I would play for a swing dance (if you want to play neo you got some worth playing) but also this is a party album with some great music

/Patrik, who gets neo stuff for free when importing it to Europe.
hmmm - maybe I will check it out - a fellow swing dancer saw BBVD in Vancouver and really enjoyed the show - he also recommended their new CD.

c1950sboy

#3 Post by c1950sboy » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:22 am

BBVD puts on a fun show. But they don't comapare to the work that Setzer has been doing since I first saw the SC's in...I think it was 1980.

mike668

#4 Post by mike668 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:34 am

I never understood why BBVD got so much acclaim. Other than getting in to Swingers they've really never done it for me except for their first album. Which they seem to remake on every album since. I'd rather hear RCR. Royal Crown are much more dynamic.
Tell me where it hurts.

Kyle

#5 Post by Kyle » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:36 pm

sorry, but its still crap!

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:31 pm

Both groups put on a hell of a show. The appeal of Neoswing was that it was inclusive; you could be a big geek and still find a place in it. It was fun music. A lot of it was craaaap and still is but, hell, so was a lot of "period" music and you can hear that everywhere.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

SirScratchAlot

BBVD

#7 Post by SirScratchAlot » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:37 pm

mike668 wrote:I never understood why BBVD got so much acclaim. Other than getting in to Swingers they've really never done it for me except for their first album. Which they seem to remake on every album since. I'd rather hear RCR. Royal Crown are much more dynamic.

The acclaim thing , ah yes, Record Companies....

check it out, Both RCR and BBVD got signed by major labels, now you guess which band followed orders and got publicity, and which got shelved.

I guess time flys, it seems like yesterday...

I first met and danced to BBVD before they ever left Ventura. They were playing upstairs at ...hhmmm I forgot, Nicholbies? and guess what they playin? RCR songs!!! I laughed then as I laugh now...this was around 1994-95.

as for the music Neo swing, it was RCR that really started it, uncharted waters, some of it good some of it bad. But one thing is for sure,RCR still KICKS BUTT.

They play what they enjoy, if you can dance to it then cool!!! and it shows, they love what they do!!!

some of the greater moments in live swing music, has no doubt been when Eddie Reeds Orchestra and Royal crown review would play together. Musicians battling...old vs new....oh yea, those were the shows...
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet