Fast pop music

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soupbone

#16 Post by Soupbone » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:46 am

Spin Doctor wrote: What are some good examples of fast-tempo hip-hop? Most of what I've heard is between 90 and 130.
Outkast -- "B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad)"
Gary

djstarr

#17 Post by djstarr » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:55 pm

I was at a dance up in B.C. where they played Violent Femme's "American Music" - it was ok to dance too - it's mid-tempo - maybe over 140 but that might be pushing it.

Erykah Badu's "Plenty" was getting a lot of air play here about a year ago - it's an uptempo hip hop song.

Lindy Bomb

#18 Post by Lindy Bomb » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:33 pm

Try Violent Femmes "Ugly" or "Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah Means I Love You". They're both fairly uptempo, especially the latter, and can be fun to play once in a very great while.

gatorgal

#19 Post by gatorgal » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:28 pm

Lindy Bomb wrote:Try Violent Femmes "Ugly" or "Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah Means I Love You". They're both fairly uptempo, especially the latter, and can be fun to play once in a very great while.
"Eep Opp Ork Ah Ah Means I Love You"...

From "The Jetsons" show?

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Lindy Bomb

#20 Post by Lindy Bomb » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:36 pm

Yes, but the Violent Femmes do a cover of it. It starts out pretty quick and gets faster as the song goes on. Definately a novelty song that you don't wanna play more than once in a blue moon- if at all.

gatorgal

#21 Post by gatorgal » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:48 am

Cool. I like the Violent Femmes and everything, but I'd want the version on the Jetsons! :)

'Cause it's like crazy man, dig it!

Tina 8)

Matthew

#22 Post by Matthew » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:59 am

Many thanks! Those are very helpful suggestions! My wish list is much longer now.

In the course of this search I discovered the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones. Nice and fast! Also, Jimmy Eat World has some fast songs.

Personally, I LOVE to double or halve the beat in order to find a tempo I like. Many of the people I play for are quite new, though, and have not studied music and/or dance enough to understand the idea without some detailed explanations.

yedancer

#23 Post by yedancer » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:16 pm

I hate to be the music nazi guy, but I don't think I would classify the Bosstones as Pop Music. They had like 2 hits a few years ago when the 75th Wave of Ska came and went. The fact that they're now still making the same general sort of music they did oringally, indicates to me that they are anything but Pop. Not that I believe in labels, but the Bosstones are a Ska-core band. Jesse would probably know more than me, though.

Are you just looking for non-swing music to play, or are you specifically looking for Popular music?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lindy Bomb

#24 Post by Lindy Bomb » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:28 pm

That's interesting, because I think of pop music as anything that's popular, hence the term "pop[ular] music". At one time jazz and big band were considered pop music.

yedancer

#25 Post by yedancer » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:36 pm

Lindy Bomb wrote:That's interesting, because I think of pop music as anything that's popular, hence the term "pop[ular] music". At one time jazz and big band were considered pop music.
Yes, but old school jazz and big band are not popular any more, and thus would not be considered Pop music in my book. Neither would the Bosstones, considering they are not popular any more. At least, not that I know of. I don't really listen to the radio any more, so I could be wrong. But last I checked, ska and it's variations haven't been popular for quite a few years.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

gatorgal

#26 Post by gatorgal » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:02 am

I assumed when he said popular, he meant anything non-swing, whether it was popular with the masses or not.

Mr. Matthew, you need to elaborate!

Tina 8)

yedancer

#27 Post by yedancer » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:34 pm

gatorgal wrote:I assumed when he said popular, he meant anything non-swing, whether it was popular with the masses or not.

Mr. Matthew, you need to elaborate!

Tina 8)
Yes, elaboration would be good. "Popular" is an actual musical desiganation, at least at many record stores.
-Jeremy

Matthew

#28 Post by Matthew » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:07 pm

The Elaboratationalistic Statement

Something other than classical (Mozart, Handel, etc.), that's been recorded after about 1979, that has a steady beat, that has a tempo greater than 170 BPM, that would be likely to be recognized by at least several dancers at any given swing dance.

yedancer

#29 Post by yedancer » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:49 pm

One song that I've been thinking of trying out is "She's Got a Girlfriend Now" by Reel Big Fish. I think it has some bad words though, so if you're playing for an all-ages crowd you'd need to edit it on the spot, or find the edited version.
-Jeremy

julius

#30 Post by julius » Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:05 pm

I hate myself for saying it, but...

"Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" -- Wham!

*sobs*