hip hop "music"

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

yedancer

hip hop "music"

#1 Post by yedancer » Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:32 am

Any suggestions for good hip hop songs to play during your average lindy night? I like to play one every once in a while, but I'm getting tired of my 3 or 4 hip hop CDs, which include Jurassic 5, Millenium Hip Hop collection, Digable Planets, and the soundtrack to Dr. Doolittle of all things.

Anybody?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:16 pm

there's always Nelly's "It's Hot in Herre"

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:03 pm

I really like the Hieroglyphics, they're pretty awesome, maybe some beastie boys, there stuff's always fun to dance to.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:59 am

A side note, but related, I'm curious as to why you put the word music in quotes. ??
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

Re: hip hop "music"

#5 Post by GemZombie » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:43 pm

yedancer wrote:Any suggestions for good hip hop songs to play during your average lindy night? I like to play one every once in a while, but I'm getting tired of my 3 or 4 hip hop CDs, which include Jurassic 5, Millenium Hip Hop collection, Digable Planets, and the soundtrack to Dr. Doolittle of all things.

Anybody?
At Jitterbug Jam, Reuben played a Beastie Boys Tune (a request?) ... "Sure Shot".

I totally dug it as a change of pace... It might have been my mood at the time. :)

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:43 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:there's always Nelly's "It's Hot in Herre"
Dude... you wouldn't!

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:56 pm

although lately Missy Elliot, "Work It" is popular too.

GemZombie

#8 Post by GemZombie » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:23 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:although lately Missy Elliot, "Work It" is popular too.
Ok... see, I can handle that song... I kind of dig it too.

But Nelly? Nope, can't stand him...

Fo sheezy! :P

Soupbone

#9 Post by Soupbone » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:32 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:although lately Missy Elliot, "Work It" is popular too.
Timbaland tends to always hook up some very nice tracks. But, durn, Missy's lyrics just seem to get worse with every single! I don't mean "worse" like offensive (although the more prudish might think so), but "worse" like lacking in quality!

laf

#10 Post by laf » Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:09 pm

I, too, am curious about the quotation marks.

I've been getting into hip hop more and more, lately. Missy Elliot's new Under Construction is good (tho I could do without being told that "This is a Missy Elliot exclusive" at the beginning of every song). I think her monologue at the end of "Work It" (the jist of which is "quit being so serious and let's just have fun") could be applied to a number of swing scenes. I don't much care about lyrics when it comes to hip hop. Rap on the other hand...
Cam'Ron is great, Busta Rhymes, Mary J. Blige, Disposable Heroes of Hiphopracy, Public Enemy... (those last two more rap than hip hop, but that's a distinction that is all but meaningless to people unfamiliar with the genre).

However, when I play hip hop--or disco or techno or various MC mix stuff--at a swing gig (and it's a rare thing, usually a casual event), I do so to introduce a different vibe to that moment, pick up the energy, throw something totally unexpected into the night, or just because I'm feeling playful. I don't do it to give people something unusual to lindy to. I'd much rather solo dance to "Weapon of Choice" than try to lindy to it, and sometimes my partner dancing improves following a chance to bust loose on my own for a bit.
I like to dance to hip hop, but I like to dance lindy to swing.

Lucy
(Vancouver, Canada)

yedancer

#11 Post by yedancer » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:01 pm

I put music in quotes just to see if anyone would notice. I always love it when people start arguing about whether or not hip-hop/rap is music.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Ron

#12 Post by Ron » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:37 pm

Dang, Jeremy, your face is like way too big! Isn't it enough that I have to see your face when I go out dancing... now your face fills my computer screen at work! Ack!

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:37 pm

[quote="GemZombie
But Nelly? Nope, can't stand him...
[/quote]

Nelly is tight. just won on Billboard too.

----

baby turn around,
and let me see that sexy body go
bump bump bump (yeah)
that is all i want to see

GemZombie

#14 Post by GemZombie » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:29 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
Nelly is tight. just won on Billboard too.
I think we've all lost too many IQ points when Nelly, who's hard hitting lyrics and made up words like "boo" (meaning boyfriend from as far as I can tell), is considered important music.

But of course, billboard has never been good at determining that... I mean, come one.. Britney Spears? :)

I'm just messin' with you, though honestly I don't like Nelly... all his stuff sounds the same.

CafeSavoy

#15 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:54 pm

GemZombie wrote:I think we've all lost too many IQ points when Nelly, who's hard hitting lyrics and made up words like "boo" (meaning boyfriend from as far as I can tell), is considered important music.
hahahaha....don't think anyone considers Nelly important music;
don't even know if it stand the test of time. or if it will just be
another passing fancy.