"Funky" version of Flying Home

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

russell

"Funky" version of Flying Home

#1 Post by russell » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:02 pm

I was at a blues event over the weekend and a DJ played a slow "funky" version of Flying Home. Only problem was they had no artist information (they had got it from another DJ).
I would prefer to get an original copy of the track than perpetuate the copying of an unknown track on a number of levels.
I checked allmusic and there were over 500 versions of "Flying Home" so didn't want to wade through all those.
Any suggestions?

lipi

Re: "Funky" version of Flying Home

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:01 pm

instrumentation? and how slow is slow?

if it had vibes playing the theme and some electric guitar and synth backing, then maybe it's off lionel hampton's 1994 effort for the love of music.

i heard it at a dance in 1999 or so and promptly ran up to the dj to ask what it was. around 2004 or 2005 i ran across the cd somewhere and bought it with fond memories of this track. foolish me.

russell

#3 Post by russell » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 am

Yes definitely sounds like the track. Thanks.

I couldn't find it on emusic or iTunes so will pick up the CD (we Aussies can't access the Amazon downloads).

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:45 pm

russell wrote:Yes definitely sounds like the track. Thanks.

I couldn't find it on emusic or iTunes so will pick up the CD (we Aussies can't access the Amazon downloads).
just make sure you listen to all the previews first. i was really disappointed with the cd. :o(

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Some people (me :lol: ) think Hampton was over recorded in his later years with little discernible difference between releases.

If anyone knows of a really rompin' album after 1967 (the NJF one), please let me know.