Ray Charles Concert DVD

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

Ray Charles Concert DVD

#1 Post by Yakov » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:12 am

i was nosing around and found this as well: a live concert in Brazil from 1963 (the tail-end of the soul years), including "What'd I Say," "Moanin'," "Hit The Road Jack," and a badass version of "You Are My Sunshine." Includes Fathead Newman on sax and the original Raelettes. And for ten bucks...

Well-written review
Buy for $10 & free shipping

Jerry_Jelinek

#2 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:17 pm

Yakov, thanks for the info. I just bought this at Borders the other night for $15 and haven't had a chance to watch it yet. From the review, I can hardly wait.

Yakov

#3 Post by Yakov » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:33 pm

hey man, get off the internet and watch it! then report back to us :)

Jerry_Jelinek

#4 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:22 am

Ok I watched the first 50 mins of this DVD on Saturday.

The show was done for Brazilian TV in the early 1960s. The sound quality is actually very good considering the source material. It is a full big band on all of the songs. Ray sounds fantastic.

It is all black and white video, but this must have come from film. The video quality for the first concert is darn good. The DVD is divided into 2 concerts, each about 55 mins in length.

The Raelets are present for about 3/4 of the songs. Ray lets some of the guys blow some jazz stuff. Ray himself even plays alto sax on one chart.

For Ray Charles fans, this is very nice. The biggest surprise is the audience. Either they didn't mic the audience well, or the audience was dead to the music. Hardly any energy from the audience at all, so it all seems just a bit flat to me.

But if you're a Ray Charles fans from that era (early 1960s), this is a must have for the video collection.