'Minor Swing' sampled?

Other music that might interest us

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

'Minor Swing' sampled?

#1 Post by trev » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:07 pm

I just watched a music video where some gal was singing something about "i'm so hot right now", and it seems they've sampled "Minor Swing".

I recognise the riff from the Campus Five version, but I suspect this is not what they've used. Anyone know anything about this?

Know of any other swing samples used in modern tunes?

Skippy

Re: 'Minor Swing' sampled?

#2 Post by Skippy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:30 pm

trev wrote:I just watched a music video where some gal was singing something about "i'm so hot right now", and it seems they've sampled "Minor Swing".

I recognise the riff from the Campus Five version, but I suspect this is not what they've used. Anyone know anything about this?

Know of any other swing samples used in modern tunes?
I have a feeling it's from Django Reinhardt (g) featuring Stéphane Grappelli (vln), Joseph Reinhardt (g), Eugene Vees (g), Louis Vola (b) which I think is from 1937. They've definitely tweaked the sound.

The "Ba ba baa....ba ba di" riff to my knowledge first came from Django and has been sampled by heaps of people - including numerous other swing artists. I could be wrong though, but I've not been able to find the riff in songs earlier than Django.
http://www.swinggear.com.au

now selling authorised WWII posters and featuring a newly refined black t-shirt printing method. Now even greater quality than before.

kitkat

#3 Post by kitkat » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Justin from San Francisco (the Django-obsessed guy over on Yehoodi) once told me that Stephane Grapelli made it up as he was tuning his violin.

Lippy

#4 Post by Lippy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:06 am

I love hip-hop jazz stuff as well as finding the source material for it.

Check these out:

Madlib - Shades of Blue

US3 - Broadway & 52nd

Guru - Jazzamatazz

Of course the Beastie Boys used some Three Sounds and tons of other Jazz samples in Pauls Boutique. There's a cool series of CD's called the Blue Note Breakbeats. Fun stuff.

GemZombie

#5 Post by GemZombie » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:57 pm

There's that "Lucas with the Lid off" song that used to be popular in the heyday of neo swing. It samples from "When Buddha Smiles" by Benny Goodman.