12%
Every few days
8%
Every day
No votes

Total votes: 25

Matthew

#31 Post by Matthew » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:27 am

The (il)legal aspects of downloading and burning music (what Lawrence mentioned about copyright violations) were brought to my attention recently, when a friend told me that she was being sued by the RIAA.

lindyholic

#32 Post by lindyholic » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:34 am

In Canada, it's legal to download music, but it's illegal to upload it without written consent and all that other legal mumbo jumbo. So technically by Canadian law I'm allowed to download whatever I want and not fear prosecution, though I don't know the full extent of the law.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Toon Town Dave

#33 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:21 am

Not to pick on you (I kind of did in another thread) but do you have reference to the legislation or legal prescedent that makes downloading legal (either implicitly or explicitly) in Canada? The Canadian equivalent of the RIAA has been making noises similar to their U.S. counterparts.

I've been following a little bit of this stuff and have read some of the tariffs and relevant copyright legislation and have not come across anything. I've not heard of a legal prescedent either.

Here in Canada, copying copyright music is leagally ambiguous. There is currently a levy collected on CD-Rs, tapes and various media that can store audio to compensate copyright owners. This levy was recently expanded to include MP3 players. Some people argue that because this levy is paid, it's not necessary to have and AVLA or equivalent license (and hence abide by their terms). To the best of my knowledge this has not been tested in court yet.

lindyholic

#34 Post by lindyholic » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:29 am

I'll find the article when I get back from Seattle, it has the legislation in there.

Harrison
Toon Town Dave wrote:Not to pick on you (I kind of did in another thread) but do you have reference to the legislation or legal prescedent that makes downloading legal (either implicitly or explicitly) in Canada? The Canadian equivalent of the RIAA has been making noises similar to their U.S. counterparts.

I've been following a little bit of this stuff and have read some of the tariffs and relevant copyright legislation and have not come across anything. I've not heard of a legal prescedent either.

Here in Canada, copying copyright music is leagally ambiguous. There is currently a levy collected on CD-Rs, tapes and various media that can store audio to compensate copyright owners. This levy was recently expanded to include MP3 players. Some people argue that because this levy is paid, it's not necessary to have and AVLA or equivalent license (and hence abide by their terms). To the best of my knowledge this has not been tested in court yet.
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Yakov

#35 Post by Yakov » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:02 am

i never understood those fees... there are millions of organizations who have copyrights on music. if somebody buys "music" CD-Rs, the extra money will go to the big labels, even if the person is making 100 illegal copies of the Saturday Afternoon Church Service Demo CD from the First Baptist Church of Waukosha.