Jack Teagarden

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

Jack Teagarden

#1 Post by kitkat » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:01 pm

To start this artist thread off:

I just listened to a CD I found at the library. Radio Days: Jack Teagarden Orchestra, August 16, 1944.

Snip 2 or 3 tracks simply because they're covers of pop or slow blues, and the rest of it has got to be my favorite jazz album I've ever heard. There's something about the energy that moved me for a longer time than anyone else has (usually, if I have to sit and do nothing but listen, I can only take a few songs in a row). All I wanted at the end of the album was more.

Unfortunately, it was too full of pops and hisses to even dream of playing it at a dance and sharing my excitement with other people. What are your favorite Teagarden albums, especially ones that you think capture the fantastic energy I just experienced?
Last edited by kitkat on Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

main_stem

#2 Post by main_stem » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:28 pm

That's a Serious Thing is my favorite Big T album. It's a survey of his work from Early Eddie Condon Sessions to the late 50's. Unfortunatly it's out of print. I also like his live at The Medoebrook with the big band which is a fun one. I think Joel is big on Anyone Seen Jackson.

His work with Louis Armstrong's All Stars is fantastic and last album, 100 Years from Today, is highly recomended but I have yet to get it.

-Kevin
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Soma-Guy

#3 Post by Soma-Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:48 pm

main_stem wrote:I think Joel is big on Anyone Seen Jackson.

-Kevin
Yeah Teagarden's pretty cool. "Has Anyone Seen Jackson?" is my latest Teagarden album. Basically on every Teagarden album I have I like about two or three songs on it and everything else is okay. None of them have really grabbed me for the whole thing.

Glad you found a Teagarden disk that inspires you through and through though. I love having those experiences!