Milt Jackson CDs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

JesseMiner

#1 Post by JesseMiner » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:30 am

Agreed. I love both Milt Jackson/Count Basie collaborations:

Milt Jackson, Count Basie & The Big Band, Vol. 1
Milt Jackson, Count Basie & The Big Band, Vol. 2

They are in fact the only recordings I have in my DJ collection under Milt Jackson's name.

Jesse

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:44 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Agreed. I love both Milt Jackson/Count Basie collaborations:

Milt Jackson, Count Basie & The Big Band, Vol. 1
Milt Jackson, Count Basie & The Big Band, Vol. 2

They are in fact the only recordings I have in my DJ collection under Milt Jackson's name.
Or you could use this link. :-) (I obviously agree vol. 1 is great). Also, it similarly is the only Milt Jackson in my Swing folders. I have also wondered how many other good recordings are out there: whether it was solely Basie's band that brought the rhythm out of Milt, or whether he shows it elsewhere.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Greg Avakian

#3 Post by Greg Avakian » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:41 am

After those two you could try "Soul Route" (with Gene Harris I think) and also "Mostly Duke".

He's all about swinging blues, BUT his songs are almost always long ...of course that could be considered a good thig :)

Lawrence

#4 Post by Lawrence » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:29 pm

Greg Avakian wrote:After those two you could try "Soul Route" (with Gene Harris I think).
Thanks for the tip!! I ordered it today.

Yes, Gene Harris is on piano and (more importantly) Ray Brown on Bass. Should be good.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:26 am

Greg Avakian wrote:After those two you could try "Soul Route" (with Gene Harris I think) and also "Mostly Duke".

He's all about swinging blues, BUT his songs are almost always long ...of course that could be considered a good thig :)
Soul Route and Mostly Duke are both on eMusic. There is a lot of Milt Jackson on eMusic, including the two Basie albums.

Nate Dogg

#6 Post by Nate Dogg » Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:15 am

Mohan also used a Milt Jackson recording on his December Guest DJ show.
Ray Brown & Milt Jackson - Work Song [5:17] - much in common, CD 1

Not on eMusic and very expensive on Half.com ($94).

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:34 am

Lawrence wrote:Also, it similarly is the only Milt Jackson in my Swing folders. I have also wondered how many other good recordings are out there: whether it was solely Basie's band that brought the rhythm out of Milt, or whether he shows it elsewhere.
I heard a Milt Jackson/Monty Alexander song the other day on the local jazz station, sadly I can't remember the name of the song. It swung hard and I thought it would be good to spin. It was off a recently released box set that spanned his career from 1954 on; I can't find it anywhere so perhaps it's not quite released yet and the station was playing a preview copy.

I also recently watched the Ken Burns Jazz episode with the Modern Jazz Quartet, and this triggered my memory that I saw Milt Jackson at the Langston Hughes Cultural Center in Seattle way back in the '80s, so it would be cool to have some Milt Jackson in my collection.

Milt Jackson on allmusic.com has some links to Milt's work with Monty Alexander, as well as other artists (whom I all think have rhythm).

Lawrence - were you trying to say that you've only heard Milt swing with the Basie band? While I haven't listened to a lot of MJQ I would imagine it might not be that danceable.