The stuff you don't like

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

#121 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:10 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:Your post says a lot about your understand/appreciation of jazz, Mike.
Can you honestly say that you have never spun a single set (and I am thinking about one particular one at Danvers last year) that could *possibly* be mistaken for something Jesse might play?

My appreciation of smooth jazz and soul jazz may be in question, but thats not my favorite style of jazz. Although I very much do enjoy listening to it, it does not make me want to get up and dance.
The fact that you thought one of my sets or one of Greg's sets was Jesse actually says a lot more about *you* than it does about any of our DJing.
Again, for you to say that you or Greg have not Djed a single set that would sound remotely like something Jess would play is ludacris. I am not saying that you guys *normally* sound alike. Thats silly and not what I am saying at all. You guys all sound different (although you all do have a pension to play the only speed off music you can keep up with, all with the token fast song here and there.)

But to therefore say there's dozens of "Jesse clones" is like saying Oscar Peterson sounds exactly like Art Tatum, or Count Basie sounds exactly like Fats Waller. Or Jon Faddis sounds exactly like Dizzy Gillespie and can't do anything original. (Ok, forget the last example)
read what I wrote, people *TRY* to copy him, and they DO. Like I said before, they dont sound like him, because no matter how hard you try to copy someone you still end up dancing/sounding like yourself. If you haven't noticed this first hand (that DJs try to emulate him) I suggest you talk with more DJs. I would say Jesse is the most emulated DJ out there. But dont take my word for it, talk to more people maybe you will see. Or maybe the percentage of DJs I have met, are the only ones that try to copy him and the LARGE majority dont.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#122 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:20 pm

Swifty wrote:From what I've heard in the last year, I would hardly say that Greg, Dave or Sharon played even close sets to what I've heard Jesse play.
Did you hear the sets i heard? Maybe. maybe not.

The following should be read:
Like I said, the only thing they have in common is a lack of SWING
I'd also like to state for the record I don't even know how to do a body roll, or know exactly what type of music would inspire one. Have you ever heard me DJ? I know you were sick in Columbus and sleeping during most of my set.
For starters I was actually sitting next to you for your whole set. Secondly I know you wouldnt body roll, but that doesnt mean I cant make things up to make fun of you. Just like you made up that most DJs dont meet my standards. There are a lot of DJs who play a majority of music that makes me want to get out on the floor. You actually are one of them, Shoryjul, Reuben, Peter, Niki and Jojo, Giselle, Angela Andrews...thats just off the top of my head.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

falty411

#123 Post by falty411 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:25 pm

PS I want to take this chance to actually give a compliment to Greg.

Out of all of the DJs whos music I dont like dancing to, I enjoy listening to his the most.
-mikey faltesek

Shorty Dave

#124 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:41 am

falty411 wrote:Again, for you to say that you or Greg have not Djed a single set that would sound remotely like something Jess would play is ludacris.
Ah. I guess I can't argue that. Having heard completely different sets by Jesse at the Doghouse, late night at the Albany Exchange, at HJDF, etc, etc, not only would I agree with you, but I'd go so far as saying that almost no DJ has at one time played a set that could remotely sound at one time like a set Jesse has played.
I am not saying that you guys *normally* sound alike...you guys all sound different
My mistake, then. I misunderstood your response. When I asked you to give me examples of Jesse clones, or rather DJs that sound like Jesse whether they try to or not, I meant on an ongoing basis. I thought that was obvious, but I guess not. My bad. And so that's what I thought your response was for...I didn't think you were talking about one time exceptions from the the norm
read what I wrote, people *TRY* to copy him, and they DO. Like I said before, they dont sound like him
Well I actually don't know any DJs who try to copy Jesse. Guess I should get out more, 'cuz you seem to think they're everwhere. But whether or not that's the case, I guess we're in agreement (!?!?) 'cuz you say they don't sound like him, and that's exactly what I was saying. (I had thought you were saying DJs were trying - and succeeding - in sounding like Jesse. Or rather, in sounding all the same)

Grrr...online discussions can be so confusing...

Mr Awesomer

#125 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:36 am

This is going to sound horrible, and I don't really mean it to sound horrible, but perhaps another way to look at it is that Jesse can, at times, be such the generic swing DJ that it's easy for others to then sound just like him.

Or… because of his influence, in that many local DJs from cities across the country have asked him about the music/albums he often plays as he's made his rounds about the country, it's easy for them to then play a lot of the same music he plays... or simply have an overall similar "sound."

This is of course just my perception based upon three things:
1. What I've heard Jesse DJ, his patterns that I've picked up on, and taking into consideration the setting he's DJing in.
2. What I've heard many a DJ across the country play.
3. My personal tastes and how I feel about music that isn't to my liking.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Nando

#126 Post by Nando » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:38 am

falty411 wrote:I would say Jesse is the most emulated DJ out there. But dont take my word for it, talk to more people maybe you will see. Or maybe the percentage of DJs I have met, are the only ones that try to copy him and the LARGE majority dont.
Not that this should get into a discussion about Jesse, but I think people try to "emulate" what they think of as good DJing. A lot of people like Jesse's set. A lot of people learn or get new picks and ideas from Jesse's sets. We get inspired or get ideas from other DJs who we enjoy and utilize what we've experienced. Since Jesse is someone who consistently travels across the country AND is a good DJ, he has a lot of reach. I'm sure if you asked any of your "Jesse clones" who they appreciate as a DJ, Jesse would be one person of several (or many) on their lists.

But let's leave Jesse's name out of it, cause the vibe I'm reading is "Jesse clones" = "DJ's Mikey doesn't like to dance to." It's not Jesse's fault if you don't want to dance.

Mr Awesomer

#127 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:51 am

Nando wrote:It's not Jesse's fault if you don't want to dance.
Well, actually, many of the DJs on this very site have claimed they carry the mantra that they are there, or it's their JOB, to please the dancers in any way they can. I believe Jesse tries his best to do this, more so then any other DJ I’ve experienced. Therefore, if one were to say they feel this way, in turn they WOULD be responsible for someone not wanting to dance. They are, as they would put it, NOT doing their “job.”

Reality, however, is that you can never please everyone no matter how hard you think or say you try, and those who come close come off as generic sounding (hence my comment in my earlier post.) That's why I personally don't try to please everyone... I just play music I like, as I feel it's appropriate to the situation, and if people dig it, rad, if not, oh well. I'm not there to be a jukebox, I don't perceive it as anything resembling a job, and will not be stressed by something I choose to do for fun.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Swifty

#128 Post by Swifty » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:58 am

Mike, out of curiosity, if every DJ played the music that makes you want to Lindy Hop, would it be okay if they were all clones of one another?
falty411 wrote:For starters I was actually sitting next to you for your whole set. Secondly I know you wouldnt body roll, but that doesnt mean I cant make things up to make fun of you. Just like you made up that most DJs dont meet my standards. There are a lot of DJs who play a majority of music that makes me want to get out on the floor. You actually are one of them, Shoryjul, Reuben, Peter, Niki and Jojo, Giselle, Angela Andrews...thats just off the top of my head.
1. Sitting next to me and sleeping are not mutually exclusive activities. It happens all the time. (I was mostly kidding)

2. From now on I am going to proudly state that I have received the prestigious "Mike Faltesek 'It Makes Me Want To Get Out On The Floor' Stamp of Approval" whenever asked about my DJing. ;)

Jake

#129 Post by Jake » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:45 am

Pick five DJs you think are awesome. Try to be a clone of all five, simultaneously. Try for a few years. Fail. Realize you've become unique. Hope that people like it.

main_stem

#130 Post by main_stem » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:46 am

Shorty Dave wrote: ... or Count Basie sounds exactly like Fats Waller. Or Jon Faddis sounds exactly like Dizzy Gillespie and can't do anything original. (Ok, forget the last example)
Early Basie is quite similar to Fats. I'm also refering to the time with Moten's band and in some early Basie Band. If you listen to his work in chronological order you can defintely see the progression and change. It's quite fun and interesting.

Early Dizzy also sounds a lot, A LOT like Roy Eldridge.

Anywho what was my point...
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Nate Dogg

#131 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:06 am

There is a difference between being a clone/unoriginal copycat and being influenced. As a policy, I try to be influenced by everybody. Learning and assimilating music is key for me. I even try to learn from the people who are usually rude online.

I try to get music ideas from every source I can, a few of these sources involve other DJs in a specific way:
* Yehoodi Radio and other internet station - Which by definition is very Jesse oriented.
* Other DJs - I ask people the names of songs all the time, carry notepads to dances.
* Websites and this Board. One of the most valuable aspects of this Board is to the chance to get music ideas. A post about a cool song is much more useful than a negative post about why such and such DJ sucks.

There are other ways to get tunes, but these methods directly take songs from other DJs. I don't think that is copying.

I would much rather spend my time listening to everybody else and getting as many good songs as I can, then devote a lot of energy trying to horde a bunch of obscure songs.

Uniqueness comes from having a large pool of songs to work with and your own judgment. But, nobody is going to be 100% unique all the time. If they were, they would probably suck as DJs, since the dancers don't want something that eclectic.

Mr Awesomer

#132 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:03 am

Jake wrote:Pick five DJs you think are awesome. Try to be a clone of all five, simultaneously.
That goes against the definition of clone, as a clone is a copy of one source.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

mousethief

#133 Post by mousethief » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:13 am

So backing off of Jesse's following and back onto topic... (kinda)

I've been trying to stay away from the pieces I love, because they're becoming a crutch. I'm exploring more Charleston music, more period music and adding that to my already sizable swing era collection.

I guess I'm becoming disenchanted with the (generally) slower, small group and jazz vocalist genre, which is not to say that that is not my preference, just that I don't want to be pigeonholed.

Kalman

Roy

#134 Post by Roy » Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:57 am

I've heard Jessie DJ a several times in the past few weeks and Jessie does not sound like Jessie anymore so it would be hard to copy someone who does not sound like his old self.

Another point, a few years back many dj's were trying to emulate Paul Overton, I think many DJ's still do and just don't know it. Look at his 25 reccomended CD list. It came out well before Jessie ever got popular many of those CD's are still staples in many new DJ's 1st 100 purchased CD's.

Jake

#135 Post by Jake » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:00 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Jake wrote:Pick five DJs you think are awesome. Try to be a clone of all five, simultaneously.
That goes against the definition of clone, as a clone is a copy of one source.
Jake wrote:Fail.
Exactly. But I think a lot of DJs (myself included) can learn a lot by trying...