Quizo question...Ella Fitzgerold

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Greg Avakian

Quizo question...Ella Fitzgerold

#1 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:45 am

Last night my Quizo team played our final game before our friend Ken leaves Philadelphia. In the end we tied with another team and the tie-breaking question was "What year was Ella Fitzgerold's "A tisket, a tasket" album released?".

OK, my first reaction was that *Ella* didn't release that album until 1996 ( on the Masters Intercontine label), but then the quiz "master" said it was before WW2. Yeah, I knew this must be a Chick Webb album, and I wasn't sure of the date, so I wrote my answer as 1936 -which was apparently correct (thus winning the game). I'm happy I "won", but I kinda think the correct answer is 1938.

Does anyone know?

Also, anyone ever heard of an Ella (not Chick Webb) LP released in '36?

Thanks!

Mr Awesomer

#2 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:54 am

I've never heard of any LP released in '36. :lol:

So, to actually answer the question, "A Tisket, A Tasket" was most likely released on one side of a 78 in '38. Also, two songs hardly constitutes and "album" and if I'm not mistaken 78's weren't named cause your only choices would have been one of two songs.

In other words, the quiz question is all sorts of fucked.
Last edited by Mr Awesomer on Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Greg Avakian

#3 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:59 am

Hahaha ...you're certainly right on that one!

But you know what I'm asking; do have an answer for me?

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:04 am

Editted above to add an assumed answer.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:31 am

"FITZGERALD, Ella
(b 25 April '17, Newport News VA; d 15 June '96) Singer. An orphan, lived in NYC with an aunt; won amateur contests, joined Chick Webb band '34; Webb and his wife adopted her. Hit record 'A-Tisket A-Tasket' '38 brought her to wider public (co-adapted with Al Feldman from 1879 nursery rhyme; revived '44 in film Two Girls And A Sailor; Ella sang it in Abbott and Costello western Ride 'Em Cowboy '42). Fronted band after Webb died '39; went solo '42; recorded for US Decca, toured with JATP from '46 and became a favourite female singer: she swung, her scat-singing was without equal and she had the great singer's instinctive understanding of harmony; her clear, accurate, flexible voice combined with warm vocal colour and sympathetic phrasing made her a nonpareil interpreter of American songs." -- musicweb encyclopedia.

Greg Avakian

#6 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:13 am

BTW, thank you both for thinking/acting on this...