Songs for a Graduation?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Tex_Beneke

Songs for a Graduation?

#1 Post by Tex_Beneke » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Hey everyone, I am DJing a college event soon and since it is graduation season, I was wondering if there are any songs related to graduation out there. Thanks!

lipi

Re: Songs for a Graduation?

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Where are you that graduation is in April?!?

"Doctor Jazz" if your crowd likes the New Orleans/trad feel. In order of comfort level for dancers, I've DJ'ed these before:
Louis Armstrong, 1959, "Satchmo Plays King Oliver"
Jelly Roll Morton, 1926, any number of places--the JSP set is good
Lu Watters, 1950, "Doing the Hambone at Kelly's, Volume Two"

"School Days", Dizzie Gillespie, 1951, "School Days"

"Summertime", if graduation is at the more normal time of June-ish and you're in the Northern hemisphere. The 1967 Earl Hines version on "Blues & Things" is pretty great (though it's slow--switches between 60 and 130 bpm). I'm sure you'll have your own favourite.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 pm

How about "High Degree" by Professor Cunningham & His Old School - The Rhythm Method?

That being said, don't work too hard on this as the students will be busy dancing and likely paying little, to no, attention to the lyrical subject matter of your selections. Nothing personal - just speaking from experience.

Jesse

Tex_Beneke

#4 Post by Tex_Beneke » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:44 pm

lipi wrote:Where are you that graduation is in April?!?

"Doctor Jazz" if your crowd likes the New Orleans/trad feel. In order of comfort level for dancers, I've DJ'ed these before:
Louis Armstrong, 1959, "Satchmo Plays King Oliver"
Jelly Roll Morton, 1926, any number of places--the JSP set is good
Lu Watters, 1950, "Doing the Hambone at Kelly's, Volume Two"

"School Days", Dizzie Gillespie, 1951, "School Days"

"Summertime", if graduation is at the more normal time of June-ish and you're in the Northern hemisphere. The 1967 Earl Hines version on "Blues & Things" is pretty great (though it's slow--switches between 60 and 130 bpm). I'm sure you'll have your own favourite.
I'm in Ohio. I learned recently that May is more common for graduation in other states, but here in Ohio, it is common to have graduations at the end of April

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have thought of School Days. That's a good one. I usually reserve it for snowballs though.

Tex_Beneke

#5 Post by Tex_Beneke » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:47 pm

JesseMiner wrote:How about "High Degree" by Professor Cunningham & His Old School - The Rhythm Method?

That being said, don't work too hard on this as the students will be busy dancing and likely paying little, to no, attention to the lyrical subject matter of your selections. Nothing personal - just speaking from experience.

Jesse
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I should pick something by Kay Kyser (aka the Old Professor).

You're absolutely right, most likely they will not notice the lyrical subject matter, but I will know, as will my follow if I end up dancing that song. I like to play songs that are appropriate for occasions (at my local scene I take all the holidays), even though no one really notices, I still get a kick out of t.