CDs vs downloads

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

dogpossum

CDs vs downloads

#1 Post by dogpossum » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I've recently (as in, a few months ago) cancelled my emusic subscription because it was a bit crap: so many corrupted files I couldn't rely on my purchases; terrible customer service (not being helpful RE corrupted files, account problems, etc); generally quite dodgy file quality for many songs; totally shithouse-awful interface; frustratingly inaccessible labels (Sony, I'm looking at you).

I'm an Australian, in Australia, so I won't be getting that back, which is why I stuck with it for so long. I have no regrets now.

If I'm buying music from independent bands, I like to buy CDs or downloads directly from them (convoluted multi-language ordering process involving cheques, money orders and mail boxes? √), rather than through a third party. If I can't, I try to use more equitable providors.

I'm actually really delighted by the number of tiny hot jazz 'labels' popping up around the place, producing albums for modern day bands. They tend to do a mix of CDs, downloads (of high quality) and occasionally vinyl (which is not what I'm looking for, but perfect for jazznick colletaphiles, who lurve the physicality of vinyl).

I've also started buying CDs from place like amazon again. It's more expensive, for sure, especially as postage from the US is crazy exy. But I find the quality of CDs is so much better than shitty downloads, so it's worth it.

Is anyone else going back to (or turning more frequently to) CDs, rather than downloads? :shock:

omsuperhoops

#2 Post by omsuperhoops » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 am

I love cd sound quality these days....only because I do not have worry about skips or jumps in the music...i feel confident if I haven't listened to a whole song on a cd thorougly that it will still work. Where as if I go into downloads...it might be iffy...I have a version of fats waller sad sap sucker on cd but i decided to play the SAME version i got through downloads and it skipped like hell...I WAS BITTER...i do not feel like going through and listening to EVERY song again after downloading just to make sure it doesnt skip...it tilts me.

PS. I hate ripping cds to my computer, im to lazy, i just find other ways of acquiring them..........

penguin

#3 Post by penguin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 am

I still get CDs (though not sent to me here of course), but I will do downloads when that's the only option.

I like the physical backup (even though I back up all my digital files anyway), the liner notes and the consistently high audio quality (although places like bandcamp that offer things in FLAC are quite good).

trev

#4 Post by trev » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 am

I've been on a bit of a quality kick lately and have also reverted back to CDs. I'm more interested now in high bitrates and proper remastering, and have gone and repurchased lots of my old music on better labels to upgrade the sound.

dogpossum

#5 Post by dogpossum » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

trev wrote:I've been on a bit of a quality kick lately and have also reverted back to CDs. I'm more interested now in high bitrates and proper remastering, and have gone and repurchased lots of my old music on better labels to upgrade the sound.

Yeah, I just did some repurchasing too. Of stuff I had bought as downloads from emusic - Chronological Classics, actually. Great songs, but the scratchy mess + terrible quality files... argh.

...but if I ever go on about 'warm' sound and vinyl, I want you to tell me, sternly, to take a long, hard look at myself.

trev

#6 Post by trev » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

dogpossum wrote:...but if I ever go on about 'warm' sound and vinyl, I want you to tell me, sternly, to take a long, hard look at myself.
Consider yourself warned.

superheidi

#7 Post by superheidi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

Sam, to which file format and what size you are ripping CDs? (suppsosing you're not DJing with CDs.) I dislike ripping as well, but my local library has quite a good collection for the older CDs, so it is my number one place to get (rent & rip) music.

hepcat72

Re:

#8 Post by hepcat72 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 am

superheidi wrote:Sam, to which file format and what size you are ripping CDs? (suppsosing you're not DJing with CDs.) I dislike ripping as well, but my local library has quite a good collection for the older CDs, so it is my number one place to get (rent & rip) music.
You know... if you have a library card, then you can use it to log in to freegal (a name that combines "free & legal"). You get 5 free downloads a week. Their search functionality is a bit crap, but if you pm me, I have a tip on how to find what you're looking for.

Rob

kbuxton

Re: CDs vs downloads

#9 Post by kbuxton » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 am

re: freegal

If you live in an area with multiple library systems, you might be able to get cards at different libraries that use freegal and thus get 5 tracks per library per week :) (Yes, California is good for this)

hepcat72

#10 Post by hepcat72 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, my wife and I each have one, so we get 10.

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:55 pm

I never really quit CDs as the source behind the digital. Heh... never finished digitizing everything, either. I really need to put time into that.

(My digitizing involves also taking an image of the CD.)

turntables

#12 Post by turntables » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:30 pm

What most people forget is that if you are a fan of downloads, you need to backup your music online, since cd's are a backup its much easier to have them

straycat

#13 Post by straycat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm

If you rely on computers for anything, you need backups. So it doesn't really affect my choice of formats (I have a lot of backups, in a lot of different places)

SiMonster

#14 Post by SiMonster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:12 am

I completely rely on digital media and I digitalized all of my CDs. In case of emergency, I always have a second device (smartphone) on my as a backup, if everything should fail.
Of course: You need to create a backup from time to time but honestly: It's not a really big deal ;)

straycat

#15 Post by straycat » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:17 am

SiMonster wrote:Of course: You need to create a backup from time to time but honestly: It's not a really big deal ;)
It's no big deal until that unscheduled catastrophic hard drive failure comes along (for example)
That's the point when you become grateful for up-to-date backups...

Although I do seem to be straying a little off topic (my apologies)

On which note - I'm chiefly a downloads person - I go for CDs when I can't get something as a download, or when I'm going to be editing something, and need the best possible quality source. I try to make up for the lower quality of downloads by using good audio interfaces for sound output.