Traditional Jazz or Dixieland?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jorge Oliveira

Traditional Jazz or Dixieland?

#1 Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi folks!

Sorry, this question may sound stupid, but I wanted to know if there is any difference between "Traditional Jazz" and "Dixieland".
I was re-organizing my library and trying to separate my songs by genres, but there's a lot of different swing music genres and I got stuck.

In time: Do you guys have any tips for it? Any list of swing music genres with good descriptions?

(Hope you guys understand my "strange" english").

Swing Outs from Brazil! :)

trev

Re: Traditional Jazz or Dixieland?

#2 Post by trev » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

There is not too much difference.

Dixieland generally refers to the early jazz style of the southern US States (New Orleans etc).

I think of "Traditional Jazz" as the revivalist style that became popular in Britain in the 50s. "Dixieland" style but maybe more use of saxophone.

I think it's fairly safe to use either term.
Last edited by trev on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

trev

#3 Post by trev » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm

My 5 minute, probably wrong, list of swing music genres, with examples...

Ragtime (Scott Joplin)
New Orleans (Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton)
Chicago style (Bix Beiderbecke, Eddie Condon)
Dance Bands (Paul Whiteman)
Big Band Swing (Fletcher Henderson, Benny Goodman, Count Basie etc)
Small Group Swing (Fats Waller, Slim & Slam)
Gypsy Jazz (Django Reinhardt)
Western Swing (Bob Wills)
Boogie Woogie (Albert Ammons)
Rhythm & Blues (Louis Jordan)
Trad Jazz/Dixieland Revival (Kid Ory, Kenny Ball)
Mainstream Jazz (Buck Clayton, Rex Stewart)
Crooner/Concert Jazz/Easy Listening (Frank Sinatra, Sarah Vaughan, Bobby Darin)
Neo Swing (Royal Crown Revue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)
Swing Revival (George Gee)
Electroswing (Kormac)

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:03 am

I agree mostly with trev's definitions. I'd probably argue a bit about Sassy (Sarah Vaughan) being in the crooner category, and I'd also move Louis out of New Orleans into a category of his own (he had such a long career and did so many different things). (Even the Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings were breaking away from New Orleans.)

Also, I really wish iTunes had a sub-genre fields. :( I want to be able to label a track as all of "Jazz", "Swing", "Big Band", "Lindy Hop", and be able to select fields independently. I need SQL for my iTunes library. Sigh.

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Lipi, are you on a Mac? If you're on Windows, get MediaMonkey. It's got a Microsoft Access back-end, search is fast and can comb whatever fields you tell it you want search to comb, you can do searches like "title:bail*y" and you can basically turn any single text field into "many" by semicolon-delimiting.

It's not good "playing to the room" software (too easy to click the wrong thing), but it uses your standard Windows soundcard output, and dragging from it into another window is like dragging a file icon from the file browser. Then you can drag files into something else that accepts "files being dragged & dropped" and that can hold settings for "output to external soundcard" that's plugged into the room. (I have an old installer for Winamp and use it for the room.)

In other words, I organize at home + preview at the gig in MM, play at the gig in Winamp.

That said...if you're on a Mac, ignore this. :-)

(NOTE: Be sure to give your "DJ drive" - the one with your files on it - a unique drive letter in the middle of the alphabet that won't be in use on another computer if you have to restore to another computer. MM is picky about drive letter when it comes to recognizing the disk as "plugged in." That's its one flaw.)

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Mac. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

turntables

#7 Post by turntables » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Dixieland is still available in some modern pop singles, traditional Jazz stays traditional.