Where are the swing DJ discussions these days?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

trev

Re: Where are the swing DJ discussions these days?

#16 Post by trev » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes. I like the idea of expanding this site (or one like it) with a Q&A or FAQ that describes some basic concepts, and then links to threads that have explored each concept in more depth.
  1. Equipment basics
  2. Collecting music
  3. Managing your music
  4. Playing for dancers
  5. Common problems
etc

lipi

#17 Post by lipi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:45 pm

trev, what the hell, man! Look what you've done! There've been, like, a dozen posts in the last week, in, like, five topics! Reading all of these sudden posts is exhausting. It's seriously cutting into my browsing-Amazon-aimlessly-for-CDs time. Try to slow down, people.

(Surprisingly, the "View active topics" link doesn't show any topics. Jesse, is that link broken? Or does it not try to do what I naively think it ought to?)

SiMonster

#18 Post by SiMonster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 am

Seven hells, that would be extremely useful to me and I'm sure to other newbies too!

JesseMiner

#19 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:29 am

Lipi, interesting about the View active topics link. It does indeed not seem to be working. I hope to upgrade our site soon to the most recent version of phpbb, and hopefully the issue will be resolved with the upgrade. *fingers crossed* Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention - I never noticed as I always just click the View unread posts when viewing the board to see new discussions since I last visited.

As for an FAQ, we do indeed have an FAQ section of the site (look at the upper right), but it's just the generic out-of-the-box questions currently, nothing Swing DJ specific. That would be the obvious place on the site to add newbie DJ questions/answers, BUT it's not obvious at all for anyone to go there to look for resources. Another option would be to create a pinned topic in "Tech Talk" maybe. And a third option might be to partner with ChrisB on his great guide over at SwingDJResources.com - it already answers a lot of these questions though is missing hardware recommendations.

Great ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Jesse

DJ Tar-hey-girl-hey

#20 Post by DJ Tar-hey-girl-hey » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I just posted a Swing DJ question on Facebook, since I had not yet used this forum since getting into regional & national DJ'ing just in the past 4 years. I love the idea of re-energizing sites like this since FB posts get lost & forgotten, and blog posts only cover that one persons viewpoint. Mostly just wanted to say hello. Cheers!

Surreal

#21 Post by Surreal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 pm

From my view, forums are becoming an increasingly niche market. People only have a certain amount of time that they spend online, and that time is being viciously targetted by social networking/marketing, games, etc.

The only way you draw more people now is to become more convenient or piggyback on existing convenience (so unless you're connected to facebook or whatever social media that people are constantly logged into these days, it's probably not going to happen), or target a narrower niche.

Since we're already the latter, maybe it's just an awareness thing? letting people know this forum/resource even exists? so I guess that goes back to "spamming" facebook or whatever.

I dunno, I don't have answers.

trev

#22 Post by trev » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Surreal wrote:Since we're already the latter, maybe it's just an awareness thing? letting people know this forum/resource even exists? so I guess that goes back to "spamming" facebook or whatever.
I think that's part of it.

Perhaps new Swing DJ enthusiasts arrive here and see only a few posts about Harry James YouTube clips and Phantom Dancer radio broadcast schedules and figure it's not that relevant or useful to them.

Chicken and Egg.

Surreal

#23 Post by Surreal » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:40 pm

I used to frequent lindyhopper.ca but it's a ghost town these days. Yehoodi doesn't seem to be faring much better.

Haydn

#24 Post by Haydn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Jesse's monthly 'Hey Mr Jesse' podcast

http://www.yehoodi.com/show/heymisterjesse

seems to be attracting more listeners over time (is that right Jesse?), while this forum's numbers decline. Why is that?

Surreal

#25 Post by Surreal » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:57 pm

Convenience? Subscribing to a podcast means it shows up in your feed or whatever so it's a constant reminder.

lipi

#26 Post by lipi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Man, I don't know where the Swing DJ discussions are, but I sure do know where the bots come to post!

This deviously topic interest sure.

omsuperhoops

#27 Post by omsuperhoops » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:38 am

A brief sure on this site and many of those things @SIMONSTER requested is all here...When I started I found all that info through some digging...I've traveled deep into the bowels of this site now I am a lurker...checking in from time to time. There are a few swing dj facebook group but the admins suck as most of it is relegated to spamming for events, shoes, or basketball jerseys...

Surreal

#28 Post by Surreal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:55 am

lipi wrote:Man, I don't know where the Swing DJ discussions are, but I sure do know where the bots come to post!
I feel like I flag at least one spam/bot post every time I log in here... :?