Duke Ellington's ivories to Satchmo's riffs - GREAT PHOTOS!!

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

Duke Ellington's ivories to Satchmo's riffs - GREAT PHOTOS!!

#1 Post by Eyeball » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:56 pm

From Duke Ellington's ivories to Satchmo's riffs: The black and white images captured by Charles 'Teenie' Harris that re-tell the musical history of black America in the 20th Century

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Story.html

Duke Ellington at the piano, with dancer Charles 'Honi' Coles and Billy Strayhorn looking on, in the Stanley Theatre, c 1942-1943

Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#2 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Did anyone scope these out?

lipi

#3 Post by lipi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Yup!

I even showed some of them on a big screen to dancers this past weekend. Incidentally, Chazz Young took one look at the photo above (on my iPhone, so it was really tiny), and immediately said "that's not Honi". It looks like Honi Coles to me, so I was going to blame it on the tiny screen and his old eyes, but maybe he's right?

Eyeball

#4 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 pm

lipi wrote:Yup!

I even showed some of them on a big screen to dancers this past weekend. Incidentally, Chazz Young took one look at the photo above (on my iPhone, so it was really tiny), and immediately said "that's not Honi". It looks like Honi Coles to me, so I was going to blame it on the tiny screen and his old eyes, but maybe he's right?
Gee - I don't know, so I will go look at pics of HC now. That's the way it was captioned on the photographer's web site.

Eyeball

#5 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 pm

I looked at a dozen or so photos and I would say it is him. He has kind of a 'squinted eyes' look.

However - people like Chazz Young, Chester Whitmore, Peter Loggins and Rusty Frank would know better than I.