Sets for Blues dancing

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

omsuperhoops

Sets for Blues dancing

#1 Post by omsuperhoops » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:31 am

Hey guys, I am preparing a set for a Blues dance, and I want to experiment a little with what kind of music I use. Usually around here its straight Blues Music, but I wanted to bring in a little trip-hop, r&B, international stuff, etc.

From u guys, I wanted to know how these types experiments have gone for you all and if u have any suggestions on some song choices that work particularily well that are not in the blues music genres....

Anything will be a great help, thanks guys!

straycat

Re: Sets for Blues dancing

#2 Post by straycat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 am

omsuperhoops wrote:Hey guys, I am preparing a set for a Blues dance, and I want to experiment a little with what kind of music I use. Usually around here its straight Blues Music, but I wanted to bring in a little trip-hop, r&B, international stuff, etc.

From u guys, I wanted to know how these types experiments have gone for you all and if u have any suggestions on some song choices that work particularily well that are not in the blues music genres....

Anything will be a great help, thanks guys!
A quick one to have a look at would be David Keogh's fusion album - recorded specifically for blues & fusion dancers, and he's made the tracks freely downloadable. Firecracker & Death Came a Knockin' are probably my favourites / the ones that I've had the best response from.

omsuperhoops

#3 Post by omsuperhoops » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 am

MAD PROPS on the recommendation! I have added that Death came a KNockin to my set, good lookin out! How did u come across this? I am just as interested in the path to an amazing track as I am the actual track.

straycat

#4 Post by straycat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:28 am

omsuperhoops wrote:How did u come across this? I am just as interested in the path to an amazing track as I am the actual track.
You know - I can't actually remember for sure - I'm pretty certain it was an internet recommendation, (it might have been mentioned on one of the Confessing The Blues podcasts from Keith Shapiro & Jonathan Pechon) - but I couldn't say for sure.