Help needed spending gift on Amazon UK site

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CountBasi

Help needed spending gift on Amazon UK site

#1 Post by CountBasi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 pm

I have about 40 British pounds remaining on a gift certificate bought for me and it expires on April 12, 2011, so about 6 weeks.

I am really starved of inspiration as to what to get from the mp3 downloads from the amazon.co.uk site.

Would fellow enthusiasts care to offer 'must have', 'killer DJ', 'floor filler', 'this'll make you look ultra cool if you play it' mp3s/whole albums on there for me?

One area of my collection that is lacking is the type of cool swinging music like that Monty Alexander tune discussed on here recently (John Brown's Body). If I could have another half dozen at least more like that, that would be very useful.

Any live material, even if it's by someone really well known and you think I will already have it, well I might not, and my collection is low-ish on great live material.

I also like some of the Australian bands that get mentioned occasionally, but don't know who to get specifically (other than Graeme Bell).

I'd like more British (think Harry Parry, Carl Barriteau, and later Ken Colyer) and continential European tunes (Sven Amundsen anybody?) that aren't exposed so much in the U.S.

If someone gave you 40 GBP of credits on there today with a 6 week time limit.. well that's essentially my scenario now.

Help! :)
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

dogpossum

#2 Post by dogpossum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:17 am

I'd be curious to see if you could get many contemporary Australian bands on the uk amazon downloads. Will you let us know if you do?

3 Live things off the top of my head which I quite like:

We talked about Ellington live at the Hollywood Empire somewhere else.

I have a few things from it, including a great version of CJam Blues. :D

I've also gotten some great stuff from Ellington at the Hurricane including a great version of Main Stem.

I quite like Jim Cullum Jazz Band's Chasin' the Blues
These were live radio performances according to emusic, and I DJ from this album quite regularly - it has some good versions of standards that I've found useful for blues as well as lindy hop. I especially like the tracks featuring Topsy Chapman on vocals (eg Trouble In Mind and I've Got The Blues For Home Sweet Home) and Duke Heitger (that version of Bugle Call Rag is fricking great fun).

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:34 am

Thanks for the tips!

With regard to the Australian music, I know also of Michael Quaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers but don't seem like they are on amazon.co.uk. I would love to get some of their music.

I stumbled on Hot Club Sandwich, though. Stompin' At Kaos on their Green Room album has got some promise so I might get that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... 3&sr=301-3

I got the Jim Cullum album based on what you said, so thank you for that.

Just over 4 weeks to go and I probably have about 25-30 pounds left on the certificate.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

dogpossum

#4 Post by dogpossum » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:07 am

CountBasi wrote:Thanks for the tips!

With regard to the Australian music....
I stumbled on Hot Club Sandwich, though. Stompin' At Kaos on their Green Room album has got some promise so I might get that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... 3&sr=301-3
They're from New Zealand! :D Ahahhah! I'll start a thread on Australian jazz bands (if I can't find an existing one), and put some links for places to buy their CDs there...