'Kingdom Of Swing' by Benny Goodman

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

'Kingdom Of Swing' by Benny Goodman

#1 Post by Haydn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:53 am

I don't think I've hever heard this number played at a dance. According my discography, it was recorded in New York on April 7, 1939. It's got a driving beat and features some great 'call and response' work between the sections. It has the energy of a live performance, and you can make out the musicians' voices in the background.

One of the better versions is on this CD (second from last track) -

The Indispensable Benny Goodman, Vol. 5-6

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm

that preview sounds great! thanks, haydn.

CountBasi

#3 Post by CountBasi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Funny, I played this two weeks ago in a TV show I helped make here to promote Swing in the city. I called the show The Kingdom of Swing and closed with this track as several dancers danced to it as the credits rolled. It's definitely a 'grower'.
Last edited by CountBasi on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

lipi

#4 Post by lipi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 pm

CountBasi wrote:Funny, I played this two weeks ago in a TV show I helped make here to promote Swing in the city. I called the show The Kingdom of Swing and closed with this track as several dances danced to it as the credits rolled. It's definitely a 'grower'.
you realise you can't just tell us something like that and not give us a link. :o)

is the show anywhere online?

Eyeball

Re: 'Kingdom Of Swing' by Benny Goodman

#5 Post by Eyeball » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:02 am

Haydn wrote:I don't think I've ever heard this number played at a dance. According my discography, it was recorded in New York on April 7, 1939. It's got a driving beat and features some great 'call and response' work between the sections. It has the energy of a live performance, and you can make out the musicians' voices in the background.

One of the better versions is on this CD (second from last track) -

The Indispensable Benny Goodman, Vol. 5-6
"According my discography..."...do you show 2 takes eventually being issued? KOS never came out at the time for some reason.

CountBasi

#6 Post by CountBasi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 am

lipi wrote:
CountBasi wrote:Funny, I played this two weeks ago in a TV show I helped make here to promote Swing in the city. I called the show The Kingdom of Swing and closed with this track as several dances danced to it as the credits rolled. It's definitely a 'grower'.
you realise you can't just tell us something like that and not give us a link. :o)

is the show anywhere online?
No way, it's still in post-production and editing. Not sure it will be online ever, will be on TV locally 5 times, so I was told. It was fun to do, maybe I'll get something on youtube in the fullness of time for you :)
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

Haydn

#7 Post by Haydn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 am

Eyeball wrote:...do you show 2 takes eventually being issued? KOS never came out at the time for some reason.
The discography is http://lordisco.com and yes, it shows two takes. The other take is available on the 'Neatwork' label CD. I wonder why the track was not released at the time.

Eyeball

#8 Post by Eyeball » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 am

Haydn wrote:
Eyeball wrote:...do you show 2 takes eventually being issued? KOS never came out at the time for some reason.
The discography is http://lordisco.com and yes, it shows two takes. The other take is available on the 'Neatwork' label CD. I wonder why the track was not released at the time.
Thanks.

Generally/Often with Goodman material from that era, BG was the one to decide to issue a title r not. Another one CHERRY from 1941 - stayed in the can for a decade.

otoh - you have odd situations like POPCORN MAN on Victor in '38. Issued and immediately withdrawn. All retailers were told to return or destroy any copies. Very few had shipped, very few had been sold. The flip side was reissued with another title. A few POPCORN MAN got out and it's been on LP on and off since the late 50s.

btw - Did you ever look at the take numbers on some of the Artie Shaw Bluebirds? Super high 8, 12, 17....17 takes on one tune. WHat a nightmare for those guys.

OKeh - back to KOS.

Haydn

#9 Post by Haydn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 am

Eyeball wrote:Generally/Often with Goodman material from that era, BG was the one to decide to issue a title r not.
Having got the band together and recorded a number, what would Benny Goodman gain from not releasing it?

Eyeball

#10 Post by Eyeball » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:38 am

Haydn wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Generally/Often with Goodman material from that era, BG was the one to decide to issue a title or not.
Having got the band together and recorded a number, what would Benny Goodman gain from not releasing it?
Something he didn't like about the recording and didn't want the public to hear as representing his band.Maybe a mistake by him or someone else on the record.
Will big bands ever come back?