Austin Local Band?? - Victrola

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

jennyrutty

Austin Local Band?? - Victrola

#1 Post by jennyrutty » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:50 am

Hey,
Does anyone know where I can purchase an older cd by the Austin swing band Victrola? I don't have the CD title. The CD contains a nice version of Drop Me Off in Harlem. I can't seem to find a site for them, and Amazon only offers Live as You Like. Any direction would be great. The track seems to have gone through a few people, so details are a bit fuzzy. Thanks- Jenny

russell

#2 Post by russell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:53 pm

Refer to this thread

http://www.swingdjs.com/phpbb2/viewtopi ... t=victrola

I couldn't find reference to a live CD but I found this CD from Alice Spencer on CDBaby:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/aspencer

Anyone have this CD? PLay from it?

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 pm

The band has been broken up for several years. Pretty much out of print and it only really turns up used in Texas. If you really want the track, send me a private message.

I will get you a copy from the band or ask permission from Alice Spencer to let you have an mp3 copy.

A couple of years ago, Alice's husband said they had CDs around the house that never were distributed, they might still have some.

Live You As You Like was the second CD, not a live CD, not as dancer friendly as the self-titled debut.

I have heard one of our local DJs play a track from her self titled solo CD, I don't have that one though. The band she recorded it with his not as danceable as Victrola.

Nathan

Synecdoche

Re: Austin Local Band?? - Victrola

#4 Post by Synecdoche » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I recently heard great recordings of Alice Spencer singing Bye Bye Blackbird and Ain't Misbehavin. I'm not sure if she was singing with the Victrola band or some other project. Anyway, I can't find the recordings at any of the usual places. Does anyone here know where I might be able to find those her music, or even know what the name(s) of the CDs are?

Thanks
Brian McDaniel

Sara

#5 Post by Sara » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:01 am

I've just been on a wild goose chase trying to find who did a version of Drop Me Off that I was (cough) given lately and was mislabelled as Ella Fitzgerald. It didn't sound like her and also sounded way too modern a recording!

Anyway. I would also like to give my money for this eponymous Victrola CD! I have found Alice on Facebook and have just been /that/ person and written her a message in the hope there is some way to buy the rest of the album.

Thanks SwingDJs for the info as always :)

lipi

#6 Post by lipi » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:22 am

If she says "yes, there is", will you share with us? I want to purchase a copy, too. I have "Live as You Like", but not the CD with that version of "Drop Me Off..." :(