Erroll Garner

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

Erroll Garner

#1 Post by Roy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:50 pm

I have recently been exploring the music of Errol Garner and was wondering what tracks others have found suitable for dancing. Beside some of the typical swing standards I have found a few recordings from 1945 with Slam Stewart that I think will work well. They are Play, fiddle, play,,Laff, Slam, Laff,, and Jumpin at the Deuces. I will try at least one of these Monday night in Chicago.

Has anyone else had success with any of Erroll Garner's music?

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:38 pm

A few that i like,

Ain't She Sweet (152) _Body & Soul _
Blue Moon (165) _That's My Kick and Gemini
Exactly Like You (95) _The Original Misty
Like It Is (134) _That's My Kick and Gemini
Oh, Lady Be Good (175) _The Original Misty
Red Top (140) _Concert By The Sea
Robbin's Nest (132) _Body & Soul
That's My Kick (174) _That's My Kick and Gemini
Undecided (172) _Body & Soul
When You're Smiling (164) _Long Ago & Far Away
You're Driving Me Crazy (120) _Body & Soul

BryanC

#3 Post by BryanC » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:30 pm

I discovered Errol Garner by accident at at used CD store. Great stuff. Unfortunately, I left my playnotes at home and I'm in my office. The CD is called Errol Garner This is Jazz 13, though.

mark0tz

#4 Post by mark0tz » Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:36 pm

My Eroll Garner albums are more for listening than for dancing. But I do enjoy his playing very much and can see how, given the right setting, his stuff could be very danceable.

I read that he was easily inspired once he sat down at a piano. Once he got going it was hard for him to stop and they just kept the tapes running. Dancing on the Ceiling is one of the albums I have, and it's an accurate depiction of his energy. :)
Mike Marcotte

Shorty Dave

#5 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:23 pm

Spuds, where are you!?

I love Erroll...he always sounds so happy! "That's My Kick and Gemini" and "Body and Soul" are both great cds for listening and DJing. And Rayned, don't forget Just the Way You Look Tonight from "Body and Soul"

Also, the whole "Concert by the Sea" is great for listening

Lorenzo1950

#6 Post by Lorenzo1950 » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:31 am

My step-father used to embellish the truth quite often. His father was a band leader, church organist and piano coach in the 1930's and 1940's in Baltimore and apparently knew Erroll Garner very well. One night when my step-father was doing his homework, Erroll came over to ask his father's opinion of a song he had written called "Misty." I have no reason to doubt that the incident actually happened so I think it is a very cool story. It makes me feel a little special too knowing people who maybe had a hand in the development of this classic song. I like Erroll Garner too and he was a great piano player. Apparently Erroll never learned to read music so the story could be true.
Larry (Baltimore, MD)

Nando

#7 Post by Nando » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:55 am

I know Spuds played "Autumn Leaves" during the Harlem DJ Battle on Saturday night. I think I have that at home, but I can't remember what album it's off of.