Buddy Bolden Stomp

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Buddy Bolden Stomp

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:57 pm

I’m looking for a version of Sidney Bechet’s composition of “Buddy Bolden Stomp”. It’s the version that the Harlem Hot Shots use for one of their Charleston Routines. The recording is about 2:25 seconds long and I’m suspicious it’s not Bechet, but off this album:
Tomas Örnberg -A selection from "Buddy Bolden Stomp"
Gunnar Lidberg"Swing Violin " Pygmé Jazzband and Stans Band Link

I’m almost cretin it’s a studio recording and I believe it’s only made up of a Sax and rhythm section. If there is any other instruments it very much in the background. The arrangement is very similar to Bechet’s 47 recording but without the piano, it’s also missing some bridges and it’s also a lot faster than Bechet’s recording.

Below is a list of Bechet’s recordings of it, and I’m almost 100% it’s not any of these

Can any one advise me if they know the recording I’m talking about that would be great.
Thanks

Brian

Sidney Bechet recordings:

Sidney Bechet Quartet Date: 23 July 47 New York – Sidney Bechet (sop). Lloyde Philips (pno), George “Pops” Foster (bs). Freddie Moore (dms).
CO 38022-1 Buddy Bolden Stomp (mt)
CO 38022-2 Buddy Bolden Stomp (am)

Condon’s Floor Show 06 August 1949 (TV Broadcast New York) Hot Lips Page (tpt), Cutt Cutshall. “Big Chief” Russell More (tbn), Sidney Bechet (sop/speec), Joe Bushkin, Sammy Price (pno), Jack Lesberg (bs), George Wettling, Kansas Fields (dms),
Buddy Bolden Stomp

Sidney Bechet Et L’orchestre De Claude Luter – 4th November 1950 – Pierre Dervaux (tpt), Gay Longnon (v-tbn), Claude Luter (clt/vcl), Sidney Bechet (sop-l/clt-2/vcl), Christian Azzi (pno), Roland Bianchini (bs), Francois “Mosetache” GalZpids (dms/vcl). Concert
Buddy Bolden Stomp – 1

Sidney Bechet Avec L’Orchestre De Claude Luter – Paris 1952
Guy Longnon (tpt), Bernard Zacharias (tbn), Cloaude Luter (clt), Sidney Bechet (sop), Raymond Fol (pno), Claude Philippe (bjo), Roland Bianchini (bs), Francois “Moustache” GalZpids (dms/vcl).
Buddy Bolden Stomp

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:33 am

Sorry I forgot to post this! I can't even remember who helped me find it, but I did track it down, after a 7-year search:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buddy-Bolden-St ... B003XSVZXC

Album: "Homage to New Orleans" on the "Giants of Jazz" label

Just one of those European mix CDs w/ some really neat gems--no idea where they dug it out of. :-)

Recorded w/ Claude Luter's band as the artist, Sidney Bechet as a featured member.

dogpossum

#3 Post by dogpossum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:27 am

That's so weird. That Homage to New Orleans was one of the earliest albums I bought. I think I put it into my itunes in October, 2005.
That makes me the least helpful member of this team.