DJ book size as percentage of total collection.

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

#31 Post by Yakov » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:24 am

in pittsburgh, jake sprouse buys used cds of good music that he already has and brings them to dances to sell at exactly the cost he bought them for. what a mensch!

julius

#32 Post by julius » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:45 am

I would want both the Barnet and the Harris.

I think it doesn't hurt to say "I have these for sale" and to negotiate a price and then just wait until, inevitably, you cross paths later on. Just put a post-it on the CD with the purchaser's name on it and if someone else comes along and wants it first, sell it to them instead.

Greg Avakian

#33 Post by Greg Avakian » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:09 am

Yakov wrote:in pittsburgh, jake sprouse buys used cds of good music that he already has and brings them to dances to sell at exactly the cost he bought them for. what a mensch!
I'm really glad to hear this. I do this for my students and a few have even started to DJ because of it. It is a great way to get people going on collecting jazz...

Mr Awesomer

#34 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:12 am

Hey Julius, maybe I'll just show you what I'm getting rid of.
They are all quality albums, just not my thang.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Roy

#35 Post by Roy » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:40 am

I carry my original CD's with me and have a back up copy on my computer. The reason why is I have run into several cases where I have been djing at places where the equipment did not read burns as well as originals, and sometimes the burns would skip. I don't want to have them happen if I can avoid it.

julius

#36 Post by julius » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:43 pm

I'll probably buy them all if it's cheap enough. Heck, I bought 30 CDs off Marcelo for $50, because, well, why not? Of course he sold me some burned comps, that biatch.

Lawrence

#37 Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:50 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
Lawrence wrote: I wonder what THAT could be.... :roll: Hmmmmmmmmmm.... 8)
That comment had nothing to do with your dumb ass paddles.
O.K. But your use of the possessive is rather mistaken.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Doberman

#38 Post by Doberman » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:58 pm

As has been pointed out previously (but highly bears repeating) carting all your originals around is just BEGGING for a disaster. It took me twice to learn this.

My preferred system was a hard-sided carrying case with the slimline plastic CD cases. (The ones that are half the thickness of the ones that CD's come in). I've never liked working from a book. I prefer to be able to scan the titles & artists of my CD's quickly instead of having to leaf through a book. Much easier to keep organized in alphabetical order or whatever also. I've got a label maker and printed labels for everything.

For a while I was using an old rollerskate case as my main transport. 3 rows across, 75 cases in each row. My collection quickly outstripped this, even though I use quite a few of my own compilations. About this tiime I realized though, that I didn't often play too much that wasn't on one of my compilations. So I pared down my regular carrying stuff to about 30 compilations and 30 - 40ish constantly rotating originals in a smaller case.

This first case was swiped when my car was broken into outside of Liquid in Chicago. (Anybody remember that place?) Lost some stuff that I still haven't replaced. (Anybody got a copy of the disk by Hot Head Swing from Minneapolis? Not too much really danceable on there, but I loved the sound of her voice.) The second one was lifted from a train station parking lot while I was in the city for the day. Both were, of course, my bad for not locking the stuff in the trunk. But, you live and learn.

I still carried some originals for a while after that, but I always backed a new CD up onto high quality MP3 format as soon as I got it. Can fit a coupla regular CD's worth of music on one MP3 backup CD.

These days, I'm running offa either an MP3 player (Archos 20GB Multimedia Jukebox) or a laptop, so I don't even bother lugging CD's around any longer.

djstarr

#39 Post by djstarr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:01 pm

Roy wrote:I carry my original CD's with me and have a back up copy on my computer. The reason why is I have run into several cases where I have been djing at places where the equipment did not read burns as well as originals, and sometimes the burns would skip. I don't want to have them happen if I can avoid it.
Good idea - I might do this until I get setup with a new computer or laptop. I've been having the same problem now that I've made backup copies and DJ from the backups.

Some CDs such as Mr. Jelly Lord I've tried copying several times to get a good burn, and have been unsuccessful, but my system is pretty old. Nothing more annoying than playing something and having it pop or crackle!

Lawrence

#40 Post by Lawrence » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:43 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:
lindyholic wrote: If I had a desktop I would, but I have a laptop, which makes things way more expensive.
you can get an external with a firewire or a usb port. i got a buslink one from best buy and it works fine.
I also have an Archos USB CD-R burner that is literally the size of a discman. I think it was close to or under $100 about 8 months ago. Really friggin neat, and it came with Nero. (Too bad my USB port died on my laptop.)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

lindyholic

#41 Post by lindyholic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:45 pm

Lawrence wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
lindyholic wrote: If I had a desktop I would, but I have a laptop, which makes things way more expensive.
you can get an external with a firewire or a usb port. i got a buslink one from best buy and it works fine.
I also have an Archos USB CD-R burner that is literally the size of a discman. I think it was close to or under $100 about 8 months ago. Really friggin neat, and it came with Nero. (Too bad my USB port died on my laptop.)
Woah, sweet! That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, cuz I don't have much room on my desk, thanks!!

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.