Irish Swing

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:04 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: The Big Daddy version of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking for" Hard to find, they are an old local band that did covers popular songs in untraditional ways. I have never actually seen the CD that this came from, but MP3s of their music float around locally.
I looked it up via allmusic - it's on "Cutting Their Own Groove" from 1991.

Jerry_Jelinek

#17 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:05 pm

I can't believe I totally forgot this one.

In the mid 1960s, Frank Sinatra on his Reprise label did a 4 LP series of musical theature tributes. Finian's Rainbow was one of the musicals he selected.

The arrangements are great. As far as swing dance things, you could use:

"If This Isn't Love" with Dean Martin and the Hi-Los
"Old Devil Moon" with Frank Sinatra
"Necessity" - Sammy Davis Jr and GREAT arrangement by George Rhodes
"The Begat" - Mc Guire Sisters
"That Come and Get-It Day" - Sammy Davis Jr

I apologize for posting this so late. But for next year, these songs are from Finians Rainbow and thus have a wee bit of Irish associated with them.

Jerry

Bob the Builder

#18 Post by Bob the Builder » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:57 pm

So How did it go?
Any one try anything interesting?
Did the dancers even work out the connection?

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:36 pm

It was a fun night. We had about 80 people there, half new, half old; pretty good for a venue that has been struggling recently on Weds; I thought for sure there would be less people there.

I went ahead and got the Sinead O'Connor Kristin recommended and played "why don't you do right" (which people liked). Before I played it I told everyone I had looked hard and long for Irish Swing, without too much sucess; and then they had to guess who the Irish pop vocalist was singing. [and then Kevin T. shouts out the answer....].

We had an Irish step dance performance by a swing dancer - she is really good; she danced to Sharon Shannon; I then played another slower track from that CD, and while it was tough to lindy to, a lot of people did some folk dancing - it was fun - the ultimate dj challenge.

My attempt at getting a copy of the Big Daddy U2 cover failed unfortunately - that would have been fun to play also.

I played St. Louis Blues, When the Saints go Marching In, and Peg O'My Heart back to back, but I don't think anyone got it; regardless we had fun.

My biggest challenge was trying to DJ after spending a couple of hours at an Irish pub earlier with some of my friends ;-0

Nate Dogg

#20 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:22 pm

djstarr wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote: The Big Daddy version of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking for" Hard to find, they are an old local band that did covers popular songs in untraditional ways. I have never actually seen the CD that this came from, but MP3s of their music float around locally.
I looked it up via allmusic - it's on "Cutting Their Own Groove" from 1991.
Yep, I found it on Half.com.