Svensk Jazzhistoria

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Swifty

Svensk Jazzhistoria

#1 Post by Swifty » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Has anyone ever heard of this Swedish Jazz series? I saw Volume 8, "Topsy Theme" in the local record shop but it has no track listings in the sealed box. From what I can understand it's a compilation of Swedish bands and performances by American artists in Sweden. I'm pretty sure Vol. 8 covers years 1956-59.

This is the best info I can find on them (in English): http://www.caprice.rikskonserter.se/Eng ... azmain.htm

KattenPejst

#2 Post by KattenPejst » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:22 pm

The series is found in Sweden in any decent record store that carries jazz. It was some years since I listen to the 1940-1942 cds.
Although both Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington had visited Sweden at this time, I find that most bands in Sweden then hadn't quite gotten a "real swingin feeling". Anyway this reminds me to listen to cds again to see if I've changed my opinion.

I'm also researching Duke Ellington, who came back to Sweden in the earlie fifties (I think), and made two or three records here. He
worked quite a bit with a singer called Alice Babs.

(Rigth now I'm preparing for djing at our swing evening on saturday. One song I'll play is 'Let the good times roll' by Chuck Brown and Eva Cassidy on the album "The other side")

KattenPejst

#3 Post by KattenPejst » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:32 pm

Oh, one more thing, I'll check what tracks there are on that cd for you.
Don't expect much swing, I think it contains mostly modern jazz styles. If I have an opportunity I'll try to listen to it.

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:11 am

Have a look at www.amazon.de (yes the German one)
It has some of them. Not much info though. I'm sure there are more european CD selling websites.

Bob

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:52 am

KattenPejst wrote: I'm also researching Duke Ellington, who came back to Sweden in the earlie fifties (I think), and made two or three records here. He
worked quite a bit with a singer called Alice Babs.
A Duke Ellington DVD was released recently of a couple of sessions he recorded for Danish tv. It's pretty good, some solo recordings, a couple of trio recordings, and a few with an octet.