www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:41 pm 

I am looking for songs that have very clear AAAB phrases (like Savoy Blip, for example). This is for a group of Lindyhop beginners who would like to listen to songs that make it easy to get a first feeling for the patterns that you can learn to hear in the music.

Do you have advice? Maybe songs that you like to play in classes in which you focus on musicality?

PS: I searched the discussion board for threads on musicality and was surprised that I couldn't find this question. I hope this post is not duplicating earlier discussions and fits in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 pm 

One thing that comes to mind is "They Can't Take that away from Me". The lyrics make it particularly easy for beginners to tell what's going on:

(A) The way you wear your hat
(A) The way you sip your tea
(A) The memory of all that
(B) No, no they can't take that away from me

(A) The way your smile just beams
(A) The way you sing off key(s)
(A) The way you haunt my dreams

(A) The way you hold your knife
(A) The way we danced until three
(A) The way you changed my life

Each "the way" (and that one pesky "the memory") is an A, and every B is "No, no...". And, yes, these are really AA'AB. Sue me.

The Ella & Louis version is only 99 bpm, but there's a 1957 Billie Holiday version at a "sprightly" 109 bpm, and a 1954 Sarah Vaughan one rampaging along at a blistering 127 bpm.

Everything that works well for the Shim Sham will be AAABish, and the ones that are used a lot are all fairly clear. "'t Ain't What You Do" is AA'AB, for instance, and "Tuxedo Junction", "Jumpin' at the Savoy" (Al Cooper), and "Stompin' at the Savoy" are AAA'B. "Flying Home" (Hampton, 1942), too.

Another one that comes to mind: "Jeep Jockey Jump" (Glenn Miller).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 am 

Thanks so much for your response, lipi! I have gone through all the songs and will post a more detailed response later, but to get back quicker: This has been very helpful!

One thing I found interesting and wanted to share: I'm a not very experienced dancer (not musician, and still lots and lots to learn). When I listen to "They can't take that away from me" (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCXXOhQ4zw), I don't hear/feel the 1 (where I'd start my basic dance steps with a rockstep) at the beginning of each line of the lyrics. That feels very forced when I try to match it like this to the lyrics. It feels much more fitting to the music when I start a bit later into each line. Any ideas where this idea comes from? I'll apparently have to try a bit harder to work through this song :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:45 am 

sonya wrote:
Thanks so much for your response, lipi! I have gone through all the songs and will post a more detailed response later, but to get back quicker: This has been very helpful!

One thing I found interesting and wanted to share: I'm a not very experienced dancer (not musician, and still lots and lots to learn). When I listen to "They can't take that away from me" (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCXXOhQ4zw), I don't hear/feel the 1 (where I'd start my basic dance steps with a rockstep) at the beginning of each line of the lyrics. That feels very forced when I try to match it like this to the lyrics. It feels much more fitting to the music when I start a bit later into each line. Any ideas where this idea comes from? I'll apparently have to try a bit harder to work through this song :)

The 1 is definitely not at the start of each line of lyrics in "They Can't Take That Away From Me". In the first verse, the 1 is roughly at "hat", "tea", "that" and "can't". Could certainly be confusing to a beginner IMHO, but I hope that helps you find your dancing reference points for this song.

My absolutely favorite beginner-friendly AAAB structured song is the instrumental version of "Lindy Hop Heaven" by Lindy Hop Heaven. Clear rhythm, lots of repetition and 130 bpm. I can't seem to find a sample online - and the CD is only available from Peter Davis himself - but let me see if I can find a reference for you.

Jesse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 pm 

Thank you, Jesse - I'm glad to read your comment because that is exactly what I heard in the song! Good to have confirmation.

So maybe "They can't take that away from me" is a bit difficult to start with. I found a youtube version of Lindy Hop Heaven on youtube, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpay6Bl4btI
This is what I was looking for, great, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:46 pm 

sonya wrote:
Thank you, Jesse - I'm glad to read your comment because that is exactly what I heard in the song! Good to have confirmation.

So maybe "They can't take that away from me" is a bit difficult to start with. I found a youtube version of Lindy Hop Heaven on youtube, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpay6Bl4btI
This is what I was looking for, great, thanks!

While a great song, "The Whistling Song" is not the song I am referring to, nor is it an AAAB structure. The group is called Lindy Hop Heaven as is the song. As is the album for that matter! There are both vocal and instrumental versions of the song. I couldn't find the song online, so I have uploaded and created a private link to the song for you to preview on Soudcloud. Listen here. I can put you in touch with bandleader Peter Davis if you want to purchase a copy of the CD.

Jesse